Technology Made Useful

Somebody’s tax $$$$$ put to good use:

1 Like

Maybe not cost effective, but I have to say, I’m impressed that targeting something that small was viable and the accuracy was good enough for success.

When a close ally…

Why don’t they just say Israel?

It’s hard to tell from the article I read, but I suspect what they shot was a PAC-2 missile. The launchers can handle PAC-2 and PAC-3 missiles. PAC-2 has a large blast fragmentation sort of warhead. It gets close and explodes. Probably very effective against drones. PAC-2 also relies upon the ground based radar, which should be able to see the drone.

PAC-3 could probably hit it. Pinpoint accuracy is that missile’s signature piece, and a drone is standing still compared to PAC-3’s usual target class. Would be a real waste though. Not that the PAC-2 would be a cost effective approach.

Yes - as a matter of fact I DID used to be a Rocket Scientist. :slight_smile: ( ok - a test equipment engineer for a rocket company… )

1 Like

Suspect that the rocket could pass within ~20 yards of the target and rip it to pieces with its wake / exhaust plume.

3 Likes

Not necessarily. We have these things stationed in quite few places. Photo is probably some stock photo. Israel would probably use a Battelle Drone Defender or a HERF gun of their own design. When it comes to defending their own, they don’t have all the hang ups we have here.

2 Likes

They have their own $40,000-per-use rocket interceptor system:

I may be mistaken but I thought that the Patriot system was designed for longer-range/higher-class missiles… but the cost may just be because they were developed 30 years ago…

1 Like