Techniques and Strategies for Building Electronic Circuits

Lots of good tips here for making prototype circuits. The central theme is using a PCB with full copper plane and cutting it into islands using a modified Xacto blade. But there’s also lots of other good stuff.

I seem to remember a thread or class about this technique, or something similar.

Thanks to my buddy, MichaelV, for sending me this link.

4 Likes

This was excellent for those electronic hobbyists like me. I wrote down his recommended tools, components, solder, flux, alcohol, etc. Thanks for passing this along.

That may have been similar to the bldng technique Walter used in his Mighty Mite transmitter classes.
Interesting tool he created near the start of the video (@~2min).

Strongly agree w/ his comments on teflon wire and tubing. Think Kynar has similar qualities.
Interesting thing about stranded teflon insulated wire - the individual strands are silver coated.

1 Like

Walter said it was Manhattan Style Circuit Building:

manhattan

3 Likes

You’re right. Iso pads on top of ground plane.
May have to do an archival dig to see where we ordered those from.

1 Like

My preference for proto wiring is enameled wire, where the insulation is melted off the ends. It’s very compact, but much more time consuming than bus wire + teflon tubing.

I agree with @urbite that enameled wire is an easier and quicker way to complete a small project. Here are a few photos of a GPS RTK System I fabricated with a few Sparkfun modules and a GPS Receiver.

Then the modules were wired together with enameled wire.

The project was fitted into a small plastic case and a professional looking label made with a laser printer.

Good luck with your project.

5 Likes

QRPme.com is the website you are looking for. I believe they created the Manhattan style pads to build their tuna can transmitters.

That’s it! Trip down memory lane…

1 Like

That looks like a nice alternative now that wirewrapping supplies are hard to find.