Technique question

Could anyone explain the technique be to make something that looked like this? Specifically, the riveted metal look. I’m sure part of the effect is the glaze. I’m a novice and would like to something like this. Linking YouTube videos is an acceptable response with me :slight_smile:

Slip Trailing - super fun times.

6 Likes

Thanks @uglyknees!

I’m guessing that this is done during the trimming stage?

It can honestly be done at any stage - but if you want that “riveted” popped up look you would want to do it on almost leather hard (so trimming) so you can touch the main shape without messing the form.

The lines can be made with a fluting tool if you want to get all sorts of fancy with tools or it could be made by dragging a pin tool. https://shop.clay-planet.com/drag-tool-for-fluting.aspx
Because we don’t have a huge budget at school I teach the kids how to make with the simplest of tools. This honestly can be done with an empty glue bottle and a paperclip.

2 Likes

The only upside to lack of education funding, MacGyver teachers.

5 Likes

Is all glazing done at same time? Different colors, or just less thick on ‘rivets’? Or two firings with different glazes?

1 Like

Based on my limited knowledge it should be 3 coats of glaze all at once

1 Like

Clay is fascinating.

If a person is good, they can make clay look like leather or denim or almost anything else.

Choosing the right level of dryness (not dry) is a key element. Wet means every bloody fingerprint shows. Leather hard means it is still somewhat flexible and will not generally show fingerprints.

1 Like

It was (almost certainly) done all at once. Some glazes move a lot on the pot and will be quite thin, therefore light, on raised surfaces as the glaze melts and flows off the peaks. And conversely, show dark where it pools in crevices and dips.

Some glazes also ‘break’, where when it gets thin on raised parts the glaze will change in color. Because chemistry is cool!

Also, I would bet good money that this was a dipped glaze, not brushed on. But a super good application using whatever method would net similar results.

1 Like

I see. My primary “hunh?” was how the glaze was kept from (potentially) running off/down from rivets. Based on your response I now figure it is just someone who really understood what type/brand glaze to use, exactly how much to use, how to layer the glazes (order, etc.). Probably all determined after several trial-n-error attempts to get the effect they were looking for. In other words, an expert.

1 Like

FWIW, its the Root Beer Glaze from “Frank’s Colored Celadon Glazes” by Coyote.

https://www.coyoteclay.com/Tiles.html

2 Likes