Teach Me How to Use the MultiCAM Router Table

I have a project that will require the router table and I didn’t see any classes on the events list. If someone can train me, I’d be happy to buy you lunch. :slight_smile:

Are you asking about the slabmill ?

Have you already taken Woodshop Safety and Orientation (previously Woodshop Basics)?

Yes. It was a while ago, but I did some woodworking in school. I know the basics, but I’m not sure how to set up the file. If it’s in Illustrator, no problem. I just need someone to walk me through it.

I don’t think so. I need training on the CNC router.

First step in the CNC is to take a class on the Shapeoko II. @jphelps is currently running those.

1 Like

@Shellyrae1 it sounds like this would be your first foray with CNC. I recommend you choose a CAD software and get started with that. Next take a Shapeoko class.

Mistakes on CNC tools are costly and the learning curve is larger than most novices recognize.

2 Likes

I’ve had training on the Shapeoko. I’ve done some CNC stuff before. I just don’t know which software we use and I need to be cleared on it.

Hell, I’d be happy to just give someone the file and let them push the buttons. I could even bring my own bits. I just need to get some straight cuts done on some large pieces of wood. There are no stepped cuts. If I know what software I should be using, I can figure that part out. I would assume EasyCAD would be OK? I’ve used several different ones. What format is best for our router?

@Shellyrae1 that is fantastic you have exposure to the Shapeoko. To be able to use ANY of our CNC tools you must 1) Bring your own consumables (endmills, drills, chamfer bits….etc) 2) take the class and pass the certification.

We hear a lot of: I know this, I’ve done that……I’ve found the more people say they know the less it appears they know….So we require people to take the class and pass the test before they get access.

Questions:
1) what size is the finished product you want?
2) what material are you using?
3) what is the raw material size?

The size and material questions will answer the which tool to use question which will answer the which software to use.

In general my answer is USE SOLIDWORKS. We get student licenses through DMS. You can export DXFs, STLs, and Solids into ANY CAM software you need. That enables you to learn 1 CAD software.

As a note if you give more details I may be able to help you more. I’m am certified on the HAAS, Multicam, Shapeoko III, and Shapeoko II. I’ve done at least a couple of projects on each tool with the exception of the Shapeoko II….I only did 1 project on that one.

Thanks,
Thomas

2 Likes

Not my first foray. Just haven’t used the one here and I’m not cleared to use it. I’ve already been trained on the Shapeoko.

I’m happy to bring my own stuff. I’d love to take the class, but it doesn’t appear that one is currently on the schedule (which is why I’m reaching out here). I know that I don’t know everything. I’m just saying that I need someone to walk me through it. I pick up on things quickly and am pretty handy. It’s just frustrating that no one seems to want to actually help me.

1. Finished size is 54"x53" (it will be cut in multiple pieces).
  2. Material will be 3/4" plywood (probably maple or red oak)
  3. Raw material will be an 8’x4’ sheet
1 Like

@Shellyrae1 you are getting help….It is just not the kind of help enabling you to do whatever you want at the risk of Multicam damage.

Do you have anything sketched up in whatever program or cad?   I am CAD agnostic.   The CAD Doesn’t matter at all.   The CAM and post processors does.

Do you have the materials?  You need your plywood and spoilboard.  The spoilboard can be 1/2” MDF.

There aren’t currently classes for the Multicam due to the fact it is a tool that has been frequently damaged and requires many hours to fix.   Those are volunteer hours….So they are far more valuable than any one members desires or projects. So in efforts to idiot proof the tool we have restricted use with extensive infrequent training and supervised projects.   The effort is ongoing…..and thus far has kept the tool up and going.
1 Like

I’ve sent you a PM. We can help you get your work cut.

2 Likes

@mdredmond thanks Matt.

1 Like