Tables are not for storing of projects or glue ups

I came into to work on my project and need a big table
These sign are on every table…

And yet glue ups are still being stored on top of tables…

Please remove your glue ups off the table so other members can use the space when you’re not there …

2 Likes

Actually, there are circumstances in which one can use the tables for glue-ups. There’s a sign back there. However, I can’t see any of the required info in the pics you’ve put here. If one is leaving a glue-up/drying thing, you’re supposed to leave your name and phone number on the piece/s. Plus, I’d hope they’d have the courtesy NOT to take up every table.

5 Likes

HB, I’m not here to give you crap but there are glue-ups on two tables. Where else would someone do a glue-up? Granted, they should have signs (if they aren’t in the building). But there is nothing wrong with using tables for glue-ups (or epoxy pours,… {cough}).

Epoxy pours with prior approval, traffic barriers, paint drying and other finishes… burt @SWA and me cleared one of the tables…

I guess they could store glue ups on the slab mill ?

Whoever it was, kudos for protecting the clamp bars from glue drip.

Biggest infraction was not leaving a note with contact info and date/time. Personally, I have no issue moving someone’s, or someone moving my, glue-up after an ~hour and so has had time to “set” (but not fully cure, of course).

1 Like

People are able to leave glue-ups to ‘set’ in clamps outside of the Woodshop. These tables in your pics. should be no different. The practice has always been to attach a note to your glue-up with your name, telephone number, and the time you put your glue-up on the table. Another good thing to put in your note is how long your piece needs to remain glued up, and when you will be back to return to remove the item. Makers should follow typical glue clamp times (easily searchable for Titebond type glues). Same goes for Total Boat, Alumilite, and other resins.

If I have any issue with this practice worth complaining about to the Committee Chair or Board, it would be if folks are obviously taking up a lot of room with some business venture of theirs.

Are the photos above showing somebody’s business venture? Maybe.

As it is, DMS has a lot of folks who use the Space as a de-facto professional ‘workshop’ for their business, and I do have a real problem with that when it impinges on other ‘non-professional’ DMS members being able to use the tools or work areas. IMO, people conducting their business at DMS need to be VERY deferential to all of us non-commercial DMS members.

1 Like

Back when I held an office I opined on this matter. While I doubt that the IRS nor TX Secretary of State / Comptroller much care about small scale commercial usage of the space outside of the organization’s blessing and consent, it rightfully irks the rest of the membership when resources are unavailable due to apparent monopolization by other members.

4 Likes

Everyone one seems to ignore the signs and missing the point…

They are not being excellent to one another. I drive 40 minutes each way to use Makerspace kind of hard to work on my projects when the tables are congested with glue ups that don’t need to be on the table…

as far as set times glue gos - the k style clamps are ridged… once your stuff if clamped it can be moved off the table and while the glue sets…

Seriously especially if you’re going home and not gonna be there for 24 hours or six weeks.

Maybe the signs should be hung at eye level?

@jast - would you please Close this topic ?