T-shirt printing

Good afternoon,

I’m in need of a clothing paint/printing/press course so I can finish a few christmas presents. Anyone wanting to make some cash?

You have 3 options.

1. Screenprinting - Not CA anymore but Print Making Committee.
  2. Heat Transfer Vinyl (HTV) - You will need a class for the vinyl cutter or Silhouette.
  3. Dye sublimation - Only on light color polyester shirts. Can be done on 50/50 but image only bonds with polyester fibers.

If I knew more about what you are trying to accomplish then I could make a recommendation about which way to go. Are you trying to do full color or just a few colors? What is the material of the items?

2 Likes

Ideally all of them…I’m going to be making various t-shirts from custom designs, both black and white tees.

For black tees you are limited to options 1 and 2.

Option 1, silkscreening, is good for repetitive designs, but not so good for one-off designs. You have to make a screen for each color in each design.

Option 2, heat transfer vinyl, is good for one-off, limited color designs. You have to get the vinyl in each of the colors that you want to include in your design, and then cut them separately, and heat press them one after the other.

You didn’t say what material the t-shirts are made out of. For white shirts, dye sublimation is an option if they are 100% polyester, or at least 50/50. This is something that I can teach you, but my free time is very limited. I could teach you Monday evening the 21st or 28th after 6pm.

3 Likes

Yeah, I can do the 21st. 6pm? How much do you charge?

I don’t charge for teaching you to use the equipment. A $5 donation to CA for the supplies we will use is requested, though.

1 Like

I would like to be included. Could I tag along for the 21st? My husband might be interested as well

Yes. My husband said he would like to join you as well, please. Would you mind showing us as well? We are interested in any technique you are willing to teach us. Just let me know what kind of shirts or anything else to bring for the demo.

You might as well make a class out of this. I’d like to learn, too.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan. See you then.

See you this evening.

I wasn’t planning to do a full class, since it takes 2-3 hours, but I can throw one together. It looks like the old CA room, a.k.a. The Pillar of Solitude is available tonight. I’ll set it up in there. We will start at 6:30pm. It will be $5 per person to cover the supplies that we use from CA, and I can’t do more than 6 people.

1 Like

It will just be me, Lisa Doyle at 6:30. Bob can’t make it I don’t know about Clara. She also was on the string saying she wanted to attend as well.

Thank you!

Am I in the correct room?
Nobody seems to be here but me.

Hey, what was the name of the software that we used when reorienting the dye sub photos? Also, I noticed that the ink is going low…

I do not know what you mean by “reorienting the dye sub photos”. When an ink cartridge runs out you can replace it with one of the new ones in the teachers’ cabinet. PM me if you don’t remember the combination.