Swolen gas cap, '01 Camry v6

So, I’ve replaced the gas cap on my '01 Camry multiple times in the past 2 years. Each time, the new cap threads swell up to the point that I can barely get it open/closed. I’ve gone generic and OEM with no differences, and Google spits out too many possible causes.

Anyone have any tips I should try next?

1 Like

What I’ve read lately indicates that it may be a matter of higher ethanol in fuels lately. Not sure if I’ve ever filled up with E15, but my '01 Camry is barely supposed to tolerate E10. Makes me nervous for what else this may be doing to my engine.

No close sources for low ethanol fuels. Anyone know of a good additive that would help and is cheap enough for each fill up?

1 Like

As it turns out, selling ethanol-free gas at a gas station is actually illegal in Dallas County. I went down this road this spring, trying to get pure gas for various outdoor implements.

Lots of additives out there, but what’s the end goal? What are you trying to prevent?

1 Like

Just curious if you mean E85, which IS readily available in the Metroplex vs. E15, which I have not noticed in the Metroplex.
That would be worth knowing, as MOST cars that I am familiar with are built to tolerate E10, but not E15.

EDIT: just found this

so… at QT where they sell E15, is it clearly marked, like E85?
guess I need to pay more attention, since even my newest vehicle won’t tolerate E>10…

Back to the original question. No clue. Never seen a gas cap swell. Don’t know how to fix it, if a new & reformulated one won’t do the trick…

@bknapp yeah, reading up on the ethanol lobbying got me more than a little irate this morning… sigh
End goal is to hopefully not have to replace my gas cap every 3 months.

@jast it appears to be a common issue on older Camrys, but solutions vary. Next option is to take a dremel to the threads on the cap :neutral_face: Literally. That’s a recommended solution on some forums…

1 Like