Surface Grinder status

Definitely, I have already put heavy use on mine and would also enjoy a larger set. Would certainly be a good practical on the surface grinder too.

I would have thought that surface grinding could be a start, but that precision flat stones would best be finished and maintained on a lap?

Well, possibly they can be done with a lap but I was just thinking we could follow along with Robin’s vid as he ground his with the surface grinder. Just thinking it will also be a goal to help us learn.

Damn I just remember one thing I forgot to order in the last order. That grease.

So I’m In the process of changing the oil hoses. I briefly powered on the motor and checked to see if the oil pump was running and it was not. I checked the voltage on the small lead that goes directly to it and it was only getting about 8 1/2 V but the face plate says that it should be 220 V. @TBJK what did you detect when you checked it last time?

2 Likes

Disregard @TBJK Apparently it is working but the voltage is still a question mark.

What meter are you using?

1 Like

The fluke from the cabinet. I verified it’s reading correctly on a regular outlet.

@TBJK. Disregard yet again. It must be the battery with the multimeter. We tried another and it’s reading correctly now. 220v

1 Like

@TBJK, @procterc and I made some actual progress on the surface grinder yesterday. We got the new parts installed (wiper, o-ring, spring and protection tube) and got the table and feed handle reinstalled and functional. The oilers appears to be working as all of the tubes have also been replaced.

Seems we’re on to the last, most vital part, the spindle. I’m glad to assist so hopefully we can get her buttoned up soon.

4 Likes

Progress Update:
Tim and I got the spindle reassembled last night and then turned attention to mounting it. That lead to the discovery of the previous spider disintegration (all the blue stuff) in the spindle housing. So we took the motor and spindle housing off the back of the machine and cleaned everything very good. Unfortunately I didn’t snap a picture of the spider on the coupling assembly but pictures are included below.

And it looks like the assembly comes with a blue spider which explains the blue crumbs. No idea why the replacement is clear. Go figure…

After all was cleaned we inserted the spindle into the spindle housing then endured a comical time of trying to blind ‘stab’ the back half of the coupler with the front half of the couple w/spider inserted with parts that weighed 20+ lbs and within a very constrained place while sitting on the floor. After a good 10 mins of trying, the precariously balanced spindle shroud which we had stopped paying attention to came crashing down onto my head at the very moment I hit the target. It was a rather comical moment. :slight_smile:

From there we inserted the motor spindle assembly into the head and shortly thereafter proceeded with the first startup test seen in the video. All in all, it seems we’ve had initial success. Next, we’ll turn attention to balancing a wheel in one of the wheel adapters, then mounting and dressing the wheel. Then on to the first grind.

Hopefully all that goes down this week.

6 Likes

I did a run in on the spindle for about 3 hours today.

1 Like

What’s the plan for an enclosure (or comparable)?

I was thinking about using one of the pallet racks for a shell.

I’ve fabricated a balancing arbor for the surface grinder. Just need to put together the rail to perch it on. Or fabricate the type with bearing wheels…

10 Likes

You are so generous with your time. Thank you for doing this.

4 Likes

Update: We have liftoff (sort of). It’s not fully ready to put into service yet but we have made some initial test grinds and the results are promising. I originally got interested in surface grinding after watching Robin Renzetti’s fantastic YT video on precision ground toolroom stones. That was over 2 years ago. So now that we have the grinder working and sufficiently safe (new cover for the wheel fabricated), I finally was ready to try to grind my own stones. I picked up 2 of these little Norton India stones from www.useknifemaker.com for $25.33 after tax and shipping. Sorry I didn’t catch any footage of the actual grinding but here’s the results in all it’s glory. Ha Ha.

Again, i’ve been waiting for 2 years for what I like to call ‘The most satisfying sound in machining’!!

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, has anyone reground the plate? I’m wondering how flat it was.

no, not yet although I stoned it last night with my new stones and it was better than I anticipated it would be. I also want to stone the bottom of it now as well.

1 Like