Surface Ginder - Magnetic Chuck

Suggestions? Lets get this ordered.

Also is there anything else that the surface grinder requires?

2 Likes

A skilled operator to teach us.

2 Likes

We can learn by just being slow and careful, we’ll start with 1" passes and slowly work our way up.

2 Likes

Once you see a grinding wheel explode you will appreciate the safety aspects of this tool of having someone that uses them regularly teaching us.

I wonder if it might be possible to contact the company that donated it to teach a basic operations class to to it. Besides the Honorarium we can add to it if that’s what it takes.

This is a great tool. Besides operating it safely, wheels are expensive if not used properly. I use the band saw as a example.

1 Like

Our contact at that company is gone from that company, and the Dallas Makerspace now :frowning:

1 Like

Do we know the company?

1 Like

Alexandria Industries

I would not recommend contacting them. You can talk to @Chris_Wischkowsky and Tim about it

2 Likes

Here are some that I’ve found
https://www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=33210&portrelay=1

Not so thrilled about Shars but

http://www.shars.com/products/workholding/magnetic-chucks/fine-pole-permanent-magnetic-chuck-6x12

Then used, Walkers are good chucks.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Walker-Ceramax-Permanent-Magnetic-Chuck-6-X-12/2119854174?iid=273284878442

1 Like

The reason they donated it is because it wasn’t getting used and therefor does not have a qualified operator to provide training. There is still a maker space member that is employed there and I will check in and see if he can get the mag chuck from them.

If you want a fun class you could create a bridgeport/lathe/surface grinder class to make your own nib holders and just buy the little diamond dressing nibs.

And technically I am still a member…

4 Likes

I have a friend who is a machinist and owns a surface grinder. I could probably get him to come down and show y’all how to use it.

3 Likes

As long as your dues are paid you are a most excellent absentee member in good standing!

1 Like

In my opinion it isn’t difficult to operate a surface grinder. Slow & steady wins the race.

2 Likes

What about dressing the stone? Types of metals vs type stone? Proper mounting and tightening?

We have the diamond dressing nib. Easy peasy. We also have spare arbors. We will have to come up with a balancing rig as well as a puller.

1 Like

I remember watching his series on surface grinders. That guy is a fountain of knowledge.

2 Likes

Indeed he is. I enjoy his videos.

I have used many surface grinders ober the years the small one in the shop can bee a verry usefull tool when used correctly

I noticed the magnetic chuck arrived and was placed on the Harig. For anyone that hasn’t seen it in person, I took a few glamour shots as visual reference. It’s rather dirty at the moment but I didn’t have time to give it a good cleaning. The engagement arm is worn considerably and is detached. I took some measurements and am going to try fabricating a new arm.

1 Like

Nice to see what you were working on, I wanted to drop by and ask, but didn’t get a chance before you packed up. If you look close in the third photo you’ll see me scratching my head learning the HAAS.

I intended to mention this sooner but I took the ball knob home with me to size it to the new handle I machined for the magnetic chuck. I’ll bring it back (along with the new handle) one night this week. Here’s the progress.