Super Saturday Sale at Tandy Leather 12/15 & 12/16/2017

Tandy is having a sale on assorted whole hides this Saturday. $49.99 for a whole hide. This leather will be 3oz-4oz (1.2mm-1.6mm) thick. Typically these have a softer temper and work great for things like bags, and clothes, and book covers. Lining it will firm up the temper making it usable for wallets, and more.

Everyone gets this pricing so if you’ve been thinking about getting some leather to work with, now is the time to do so.

Super Saturday Sale Flyer.pdf (959.9 KB)

7 Likes

Would you have information how big whole hides are?

Thanks

The ad says at least 40 sq. feet per hide. The photos look like chrome tan and not veg tan, so you probably won’t be able to tool the leather.

1 Like

It’s a full hide, yes about 40 sq feet. And it is finished chrome tanned not vegetable tanned leather. Roughly 6’x6’ but in the shape of a cow.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s true at all Tandy Stores, but the one near me let me pick out a hide early (when I was in buying stamps last week) and is holding it until the sale officially starts on Friday.

FWIW, the sign in the Allen store said Friday and Saturday, not just Saturday.

3 Likes

This is correct…

I was at the Tandy in Irving. They have 50 hides. It car upholstery grade leather. and pretty.

Irving sale starts tomorrow. They did not allow presales, but then I am not as nice as @HankCowdog. They have a lot of other very nice leathers on sale. I bought a small piece for $12, regularly $35. My mom bought one for aprons - $40, regularly $80, and a great black 1/2 hide for $80, regularly $180.

2 Likes

Hmm, I may get some. I have some spots that need touch ups.

i want to grab one, maybe 2.

To be clear, the Allen store doesn’t allow presales either: my leather is still at the store.

I was there yesterday buying some other things and they wouldn’t sell early (I asked) so I’ll have to make another trip today/tomorrow to pick it up. They are holding it for me (as they would for anyone else who asks - I saw someone else doing it last week, that’s how I even knew they’d put things on hold), but I have to actually buy it during the regular sale dates.

General (unrealated leather question) found this delicious little bag for $35 at the lotus shop in Dallas yesterday. Great price I know but did I buy it nooooooo I thought “that would be fun to make” because the size wasn’t perfectly-perfect. I’ll probably go back after I buy all the stuff to make it and fail only to find they are no longer sold.

Anywhoooo what’s this leather guys? It was

Looks like about a 4/5oz utility leather to me. It has painted edges. Maybe sewn on a sewing machine. That thread looks thinner than would be used for hand stitching something that size.

Great design, I like how they used the pull tab on the zipper as the lock too. At $35, I’m going to guess it was machine sewn.

Was it lined on the inside? Did it have any pockets or was it just one?

Had CC pockets. It was darned near perfect. I think I’ll go back and get one and inspect it and try to improve upon the idea and or get a frustrated I trash it all.

What didn’t you like about it? Was it too small overall?

So it was a wristlet, clutch, and strapped purse depending on how you wanted to use it. It was the perfect size for a wristlet, small for a clutch and downright strange as a strapped purse (for me)- which I probably wouldn’t wear.

The inside was packed with a side of 8ish credit card holders and a zippered middle section. and the inside was just big enough for…nothing else. It was lined and well made for the price point although obviously produced by some sort of sweat farm.

I wouldn’t do much to it except for make it a bit larger and a bit wider to accommodate the amount of useless crap I shove in things I hold. But how can you make it wider with still paying respect to the simplicity of the line of this bag? Is that even possible?

But, now I just need to just go buy it. I should have bought it when I saw it. drat!

Thanks for the info. I really really like this, so I’m going to give it a go at making one. If it comes out right, You’re welcome to use the pattern, or we can maybe get together to build one whether you go buy one or not. Handmade, I’d have to charge double that at least I think if I were making this to sell, so $35 is a REALLY great deal.

2 Likes

I’m totally down with all of it. I’ll try to get back down to the museum this weekend to get one or I’ll sniff one out online.

I’m trying to find some a small amount of thick veg tan leather to make a couple of sharpening strops out of. Ideally I want to make them 3.5 inches by 10 inches. Does anyone know where I could pick this up? Enough to get either 6 or 8 pieces by that dimension? Looks like Tandyleather in Irving may be my best bet but if there’s any place closer to the space or even up toward Denton even better.

Thanks in advance.

you need a good thickness for a proper strop. The evil empire unfortunately only sells that in a full side and even then is only around 11 oz (although they call it 13). have you considered gluing a piece down to a board? Then it doesn’t really matter what thickness it is although you do lose the flexibility of the leather.
They have a new place in Allen if that is any better.

1 Like