Suggestions for Linux CAD workstation

Looks like it’s time to put together a new workstation for software development, ECAD, and MCAD. I thought folks here may have some insight.

Looking to run Linux with at least on VWMare machine for Windows CAD software, and multiple VMs to run stripped down linux environments for running embedded target code. So, multiple cores and lots of RAM. Also, it has to be quiet.

I don’t want to put one together from parts, as I don’t know what reviews to trust with respect to case quality, noise level, and thermal management.

I could go with a Dell. Or, I could go with one of the small workstation builders like Digital Storm or Origin. No matter which way I go, it is looking like it will add up to a fortune, so I hate to get it wrong.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Dave

I sell lots of HP Z series workstations. They’re not the cheapest out there, but when it comes to serious machines, they are hard to beat. The warranty is awesome: They include 3 years of at-your-location-service so that you don’t have to lug your machine in to get it worked on.

I’m particularly fond of the Dual Platinum 8180 (56 cores & 112 Threads!!!) machines, packed out with M2 & Card based SSDS, plus you can add up to 1.5 TB (yes TB) of RAM. The current retail price for one of these machines maxes out somewhere around the same cost as a base model Lincoln Navigator. There are decent machines well under $10k for most uses tho :smile:

1 Like

background: I’ve built a bunch of computers in the last couple years - handful of windows, couple BSDs, lots of linux, including several high end $6-10k builds. The only compatibility problems I’ve had were between linux, an Asus x99 workstation mobo and a xeon e5-2690v4 right after v4 came out (since fixed) and…sound cards.

In my opinion, if you’re only buying one (or a couple), high-end workstations from major OEMs are a rip-off. You’re easily paying >50% markup and getting lower quality components (motherboard, power supply, cpu cooler, fans, etc…and please, for the love, do not buy a GPU from them). They achieve compatibility by avoiding cutting edge stuff, choosing “stable” distributions (mainly rhel/centos or debian/ubuntu which in turn achieve stability by using older kernel + key packages). I’m not saying that’s bad - it’s great to have stuff just work, but it’s easy to make those same choices yourself.

I’ve never bought from a custom builder, but I’ve come close and done a bunch of research. I really like www.pugetsystems.com approach (I used one of their configurations as the basis for my main machine). They publish a lot of their research on components/builds, do lots of work on compatibility, thermal management, noise, etc. What a good custom builder will be able to help you with is getting the most out of your budget and choosing the right configuration for your use case.

For me - I chose to build myself when I realized how much more capability I could afford by DIYing it. In hindsight, I wasted a lot of time worrying about micro-optimizations and trying to make absolute bleeding edge stuff work - it’s super easy to make a computer if all the parts are > 6 months old…but try and use that super-cool brand new part and you might throw your machine out the window.

1 Like

Silent PC reviews
http://www.silentpcreview.com/section21.html
has information on reducing computer noise. You have the most options with a large computer case, but with some attention to detail you can make a computer that is quieter than what the market offers.

Dave,

Whats your budget for the tower?
Are you going to use vMware Fusion or ESXi?
The number of VMs and resource requirement will very dependent on the server/machine to recommend.

Prefer under 4K but budgeted up to 5K. Planning VMWare Fusion but will look into ESXi, as I’m not familiar with it.

Will be used for ECAD, MCAD, software, firmware development. Driving a 4K monitor. Not a gamer, so no gaming.

You can sneak into a really good Z840 with that budget.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-z840-workstations-f5g73av-1

I would also recommend checking out this video:

Fusion is for macs. Esxi free tier includes a very limited subset of features (32gb max memory, limited storage options, no cluster/ha support). Last I checked, paying for esxi didn’t make sense for an individual workstation ($1000+). Vmware workstation for linux is fine, but it doesn’t do anything that qemu+kvm+virt-manager does for free. Take a look at www.proxmox.com for an open source hypervisor built off debian.

I looked at the puget systems. However, they seem to only have intel offerings, which ups the price. But I like their approach.

I was looking at a digital storm slade pro/ryzen/“best” model with the p2000 video card, sound dampening option 2, and Linux install. (link to default config below)

However, I’m wondering if I really need liquid cooling, vs a good fan if I’m not overclocking. I’m also concerned the liquid cooling system will be noisier than a quiet fan.

Looks like I could put together a system for much less (At least $500 less) buying all the parts from amazon:

• AMD Ryzen threadripper 1950x, $875
  • Noctua U14S air cooler, $80
  • Asus PRIME x399-a MB, $290
  • Fractal Design Define R5 case, $130
  • Corsair AX860i power supply, $260
  • 96GB Samsung quad rank DDR4 RAM, $1,015.51
  • PNY P4000, $845
  • Sound damping material, cables, etc. $100
    Total, $3600.

Any thoughts, either on the Digital Storm system, or the parts I’m considering for a build? Did I overlook anything?

Dave

I would go with something like this if the budget allows. I’ve built many similar workstations for 3D graphics production and I’ve always had good experiences with Supermicro hardware.

1x http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-workstations-business-dual-processor-sys-7039a-i-41113193
2x http://www.wiredzone.com/intel-components-cpu-processors-server-cd8067303561800-41110265
1x http://www.wiredzone.com/samsung-components-hard-drives-desktop-mz-v6p1t0bw-10026635
8x http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-components-memory-ddr4-mem-dr416l-hl03-er24-10026914

Add in whatever GPU you want from there. It would have 20 cores at 2.2GHz, 128GB of ECC memory, 1TB NVMe SSD, 1200 watt power supply (94% efficiency), and it would be whisper quiet. There are other options of course but this offers a good balance of cost, reliability, expand-ability, and ease of setting it up.

1 Like

I would be reluctant to use a machine to make my living that didn’t have ECC memory. This blog post sums it up pretty well.

http://perspectives.mvdirona.com/2009/10/you-really-do-need-ecc-memory/

If it were for home use, gaming, hobbies and that kind of stuff I think the AMD Ryzen would be fine but in this case I’d pass on it.

FYI, the North Texas Linux Users Group meets at the Dallas Makerspace this coming Saturday at 9AM, in the Tiny Purple Classroom.

I have zero experience w/ AMD, so no comment there. You most certainly don’t need liquid cooling. High-end air coolers (like the noctua you’ve listed) work great, better than most off-the-shelf liquid cooling solutions according to linus tech tips. The video lines up w/ my own experience - I’ve got noctua coolers and fans in most of my builds - nearly silent, easily sufficient cooling. Big fan of Fractal Design cases as well.

Agree with @lukeiamyourfather on ECC memory and the Samsung 960 pro nvme ssd.