Suggestions for leathercraft classes wanted

I’m planning to offer 2 maybe 3 leathercraft classes a month. While I’m happy to come up with a project to make during class time, I could also use some suggestions from anyone who may be interested in learning more about leathercraft and techniques. I’m open to suggestions!

Classes I thought would be beneficial:

Tools and Leather Introduction (2hrs)

• We’ll go over the tools available at DMS, how they’re used.
  • Learn about different kinds of leather, and go over how to choose the right kind of leather for your project.
  • Learn about different kinds of thread used in hand stitching leather.

Making a Leather Bifold Wallet (2hrs)

Making a Leather Field Notes Cover (2hrs)

Making Leather Belts (2hrs +)

Making a Leather Dopp Kit (3hrs)

2 Likes

I’ve taught the tools and leather introduction class at least a half a dozen times. I’m also happy to teach it again if there is interest.

2 Likes

We really need to redo the instructional classes and discussed in the SIG making the leather tools and supplies training required in general. After our discussion about misuse of supplies and materials in the SIG mtg, I had to intervene later that same afternoon when someone was setting hardware directly on one of the granite slabs. Once the granite slabs are chipped or nicked, they are worthless for their intended use which is as a SMOOTH hard tooling surface. CA has been extremely generous to expanding the leather program, and I for one am very grateful, however, I would like to see $ spent on new tools and replenishing properly used supplies, than replacing damaged tools and re-stocking consumables that are being misused and needlessly wasted.

So, for the leather 101 classes being taught in the future, we all need to be on the basic same page about what folks are being told.

1 Like

I’m in agreement. I always teach people to cut on the poundo surface and to tool their leather on the granite. I’m sure that what CA is experiencing is what the wood shop and others have experienced in the past. It is not only a lack of knowledge, but a careless attitude towards tools that people don’t own.

I am glad that there is an interest in growing leather craft. I offered to teach leather craft originally because there weren’t other teachers willing to do so. We had only a few tools then and they were in pretty bad shape, too. I’d certainly like to keep the tools we have in good shape.

1 Like

I support you 100% whatever you need (philosophy or supply) I will try to help you out as I can.
Set some rules and expectations and hold the bar high for users. I’ll hold the other side if you need.

Mother has spoken. Rumor is one of the agenda items for the next CA meeting was allocating space for time-outs.