Submitted my first class, "Introduction to Crochet Project Class: Make a Holiday Can Cozy"

Hi Fiber Arts friends! In the next 72 hours (if no one objects), watch for an intro to crochet class taught by yours truly.

Here’s the description. I hope it gets approved and I get to see your smiling face in class!

Update: The class is live
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/14461

If you’ve ever watched someone crocheting and thought, “I want to do that.” now is your chance! This is a project class, and we’ll be making holiday can cozies for you to keep for yourself or make more at home to give as gifts.

This beginner crochet class* will demonstrate the following skills:

• Slip knot to start crocheting
  • Chaining
  • Single crochet**
  • Half-double crochet**
  • Double crochet**
  • Counting stitches
  • Turning your work
  • Changing colors
  • Weaving in ends
  • Sewing the project closed
  • Sewing on an embellishment (optional)

You can use these cornerstone skills to make all kinds of things, like washcloths, blankets, purses, and more!

Here are some logistical details:

Supplies:
We will have size G crochet needles and plastic sewing/tapestry needles for you to use during the class. You can reimburse the instructor for them if you want to take them home, or you can buy your own at most craft stores or online.

Materials:
Materials will be provided for a $5 fee, or you can bring your own materials. Materials include two colors of yarn in your choice of red and white for Christmas, or blue and white for Chanukkah (or just because you like blue and white.) You’ll also get an embellishment button to complete the look. Please message @Holliday on https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org to let me know your color choice so I bring enough of the one you want.

Let’s have some fun and make something!

*Intermediate and advanced crocheters are welcome. The pace will be slow for the beginners, but you can still create a great new project.

**Single and double crochet techniques are taught in U.S. terminology. If you are used to U.K. terminology, it is a little bit different, but the instructor will help you adjust.

7 Likes

Glad to see an intro class. It’s time for one. Feel free to promo on fb in CA and Fiberholic groups (or I can do it for you)

QUESTION: what day/time will it be?

A few things if you want to relay to new crochet students:

1. if they need random help later, get stuck, or starting next project, have them drop in one of the Fiberfrolics (often Tuesdays but see calendar) and we’ll be happy to help

2. for small quick project, experimenting with stitches, etc, we have a crochet/knit block thing (like for eventual blankets, charity etc) that’s going over on the shelves by the looms. Just grab some yarn from blue member bin, or use own stash, make blocks whatever size or make 7x9” (size for a particular local blanket charity), leave on shelf. There’s a pile started by the spinning wheel. When we have enough, we’ll donate/assemble

3. several of us are starting a CAL (crochet along) for a cool shawl that’s a free pattern, flexible with yarn and sizing, nice variety of stitches, and new folks can get help at frolics if need be.

Here’s the shawl, Lost in Time (check Ravelry)

4 Likes

Thank you, @kyrithia!

The class is submitted for Tuesday, November 5th from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm for 8 people. I set it to allow registration after the class starts since there’s usually a few people who don’t make it at the last minute and people who want to join in if there are spots,

I requested honorarium with Creative Arts as the committee and Fiber Arts as the topic.

I’ll make sure to include your notes as announcements.

2 Likes

As of right now, there are 3 spots left.

If it “sells out,” and you’re at the space and want to join us, I have the calendar set for last-minute registrations.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/14461

1 Like

I posted a nudge on fb groups for last couple spots for ya

1 Like

Thank you!

@Holliday
You said the class was up for today/Monday [and I was sad because I’m already taking another class at that time.]
But when I went to look at the calendar, it’s posted for tomorrow/Tuesday.

1 Like

Good catch, @Sarah_Hustwit! It is tomorrow. I originally tried for tonight, but it wasn’t after the six day window.

I’ve edited my post.

I hope you teach this again! I would love to take this class. Alas I work all day.

1 Like

If you’re around when I am, maybe we could do a quick pick-up class.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who attended! It was great to see y’all crocheting!

5 Likes