Subaru Forester 2012 Catalyst System help

My subaru has engine light code P0470 - Catalyst system problem,
And the shop said $1k5 for fixing it.
Is there any cheaper way to fix it?

Thanks,
Tan.

DMS has a code scanner you can use to check it yourself. Google will be your friend with the code(s) you get. The results are usually like this: Try Fix #1, if that doesn’t work, Fix #2, if that doesn’t work, Fix #3 … The trick is in getting the fix right the first time :smiley:

If it does turn out to be the catalytic converter(s), I had good luck when my kid’s 2002 Honda CR-V needed a new converter at Pronto Muffler, 18th and 75 in Plano. Our “Honda Guy” (Hondew Shop on Floyd Circle, highly recommended btw) quoted us over a $1000 for a “genuine” OEM cat. Which was way less than the Honda dealer. Pronto Muffler welded a universal cat on there for $350. Passed state inspections for 3 more years before we sold it.

2 Likes

If it’s a cat efficiency code then there’s usually a leak somewhere between the cat & the engine somewhere.

One of the other members had a WRX wherein the dealer recommended replacing the cat. The issue turned out to nothing more than an exhaust leak that would’ve required tightening the bolts at one of the flanges. :expressionless:

3 Likes

As others have stated, those Cats are usually effective for 150k-200k miles. If you don’t have high mileage it’s most likely not a faulty cat.

1 Like

I had an Acadia throwing a cat code and it turned out to be the carbon on the intake valves. This is probably unique to direct injection engines.

2 Likes