Stupid airbrush question

Assuming I can tolerate the noise, is there any reason I couldn’t use my shop air compressor for air brushing?

MicroMark has their airbrush compressor on sale for $60, which seems like a reasonable price, but regardless of price it’s a waste of money if I could just use my shop air compressor.

The only issue I’d see is having to tune down the pressure for airbrushing and then dial it back up again for use with other shop tools. Next airbrush means having to recalibrate/dial in the right pressure all over again.

Can your big compressor dial down to 8-12 PSI reliably?

A 50’ air hose brought in through a window would go a long way towards mitigating any noise.

3 Likes

That’s a great question. I’ll have to go play with it; but I admit that I have to rely on the dial gauge for the answer. I don’t have any other way to measure it.

You’d usually “dial in” the pressure by setting something you think is close, then actually using the brush (usually on scrap cardboard, etc.) and looking at the pattern, then dialing up or down and trying again. My concern is that the upper end on the big compressor is probably more than the airbrush would be happy with, and could cause damage (maybe?) if set much too high.

On the plus side, the large tank on the compressor would mean that once set the pressure would remain pretty steady, as the airbrush would only sip air from the large reserve.

2 Likes

People I’ve seen do it use the compressor regulator to bring pressure down to 20-25 psi, then use the air brush regulator to do the fine control.

4 Likes

Run a hose to your workbench and then mount a combo regulator / drier right there at the bench. 1/4” and 3/8” air regs are cheap. Under $10 at harbor freight last time I looked.

That way, you have the ability to tune the pressure for the desired effect without having to go back to the compressor, which is really what your after rather than an absolute PSI reading.

Don’t skip the air drier if you’re trying to do good airbrush work.

3 Likes

That’s what I use. I have a separate regulator with a drier and quick diconects . Works great.

3 Likes

Speaking of which, does anybody want to teach an airbrush class sometime in January or February? I’m sure I could muddle through it on my own, but I’m a hands on learner.

1 Like

I have a small 3gal compressor that I use at home for airbrush work.
$50 at harbor freight, works well and the tank lasts quite awhile before needing to fire up.

I have one of those: Hearing Protection Required.

My large compressor is quieter.

Yes, definitely the better option is to buy a separate regulator with air drier/filter, should be available for less than $30 at harbor freight… plus whatever hoses/disconnects you desire.

1 Like

I do use my shop compressor to power an air brush. I have it regulated with a MAC tool air/water separator with a regulator. No issues at all.

2 Likes