Strandbeest Bike Group Build Discussion

It looks great!

This is a small contribution, but AFAICT, “strandbeest” is not registered trademark. So that’s good news … just wanted to make sure we weren’t infringing on Theo or anyone else.

I’ll PM you some nits.

1 Like

I’ll repeat one of my nits here so people can discuss it if they’re inclined.

I thought it was missing something about why you are doing this / why people should fund it.

2 Likes

I was going to put that more on the gofundme but you’re right - I need to touch on that. Thank you for that suggestion!

1 Like

Thanks to @John_Marlow for emailing me the mistakes I made. I’ve added a “contact” link, and put the layout of the blog to -hopefully- be a bit more readable for people - all on one page to be scrolled. I will have a bit more time to work on this over the weekend and tonight. Hopefully it’s something that will get some traffic towards the project and DMS.

2 Likes

Once you’ve got it the way you want it, would be good for @Team_PR to push to our DMS owned social media.

3 Likes

@dr_cee cut out the first test cut last night! Big things are about to start happening, get involved!
Next meeting is this week on the 20th.

3 Likes

I saw Chuck and John working on this last night. the parts look much smaller laying down then they do being held up in approximate position. I’m really excited to see the leg put together!

2 Likes

Me too! Excited to see what we’ve done since the last meeting.

1 Like

I got some time to work on the logo! What do y’all think? Beest Leg Logo 2.pdf (57.1 KB)

4 Likes

Nice logo Joe!

Came across this on reddit from the guy who has built a strandbike. I offer nothing else but what he said would be need to make it better.

A couple things are needed.
More legs to give it a smoother gait.
Machined parts to add strength.
Lastly, bigger legs to give you more travel per crank.

2 Likes

Bushings: $30 per leg set of 16
2.250" diameter round bar Delrin for 20 bushings net after machining ePlastics $27 & $10 S&H is $1.85/bushing or $30 per leg set.

Tooling cost: 1.0000" reamers for bushing is about $90. Assuming prototype and one set after that = 64 bushing so tooling cost is $1.40/bushing or $22 per leg set. Of course this tool is probably capable of doing 1,000 bushings easily. over long period >$0.10 each. But for this build with material, see above, about $3.25 per bushing or $52/leg or $204 for each of the two builds.

1 Like

Ya that’s Blaine Elliott - he’s the guy who ran the website we followed to create this. I’ve been talking to him over Twitter as well! He knows we’re making one believe it or not. Thanks Alex!

1 Like

We met again last night to talk about
T-shirt designs
Gofundme
Paying for the website
Chucks test cut mock-up
Wills metal mock-up (strandbeest 2.0)

I will write up some formal notes and post them.

6 Likes

I wish i could get out there on a Wednesday! Sorry i’m not contributing anything but another name to the group

1 Like

Are we getting rid of the shifter when we replace the wheel? Since the legs cannot “coast”, shifting may be difficult. Sizing the legs is probably like selecting the axle ratio of a pickup truck: speed and fuel economy versus towing capacity.

@AlexRhodes More travel per crank means it will be harder to pedal also.

Actually, it is being scaled based on where the axle of the rear where is located. The legs also have a common rotation point.

Hi all. I’m new here. I’m building a big strandbeest this summer – or trying to.

It is designed to be carry 5 people and go 5mph.

Check out the initial mockups at www.domecha.com

Looking forward to seeing y’alls project!

6 Likes

Love it! We’re working out the kinks.

3 Likes