Strandbeest Bike Group Build Discussion

Meeting May 30th 6:30

What happened:
Chuck showed off his not-to-scale working model
Joe showed off the poster and we discussed t-shirt designs
Nicole talked about gofundme in the abstract

Decisions made:
Full scale one leg mock up in the works - CNC cut @mreynolds possibly this is where you could assist
Additional “metal ends” (bad name for it) will be made to strengthen the movable joints
Feet, weight, and design were discussed
Bike will be made out of wood - this will be beest 1.0 - thus mistakes are cheap and easy to fix
Lots of discussion about joints, joinery, options for strengthening while still allowing for motion
T-shirt will include the logo in a unique way
gofundme is worth a shot - more to be done on that

Tasks before the next meeting:

• John K and Chuck are making the full scale leg (Clay and Will coughed up $40 to help with wood costs)
  • Nicole is going to shoot a video for the go fund me I will be asking for help on that
  • Joe is going to hook up with @talkers or take the silkscreen class ASAP so he can learn how to burn a screen

In attendance:
@dr_cee @motopilot @Robodude919 @Gimli @cmcooper0 @JohnK and Will the welder @Photomancer was out but is still in it to win it

Next strandbeest meeting will be June 20th time and location TBA

2 Likes

Happy to help out shooting the video.

Wonderful! I’ll PM you - it’s going to be about DMS and the build. How fast can you work? and will you be free some time June 8th?

Depends how fancy you want to be. I will be free in the evening and all weekend.

I encourage members such as yourself to take part in things that interest you. You’ll probably learn skill … which is a big part of being at DMS. There will be things you can do and be a part of Building the Beest!

Hope you can attend next meeting.

1 Like

Now you guys have me thinking about this project.

3 Likes

YASSSSSSS!!! Come. We have snacks.

1 Like

Check it

Theo is our homeboy fer life

1 Like

These are the things that get me excited about the Makers Space. I would love to come at least be a bit of grunt labor if it is needed.

3 Likes

Yes please get involved.
Do you want to help with the video or making the mock-up or just tag you in with construction?

Can you weld?

1 Like

I can’t weld but would love to help with the prototype.

2 Likes

Awesome. So I’m giving you an adventure!

Find @mreynolds @dr_cee and @JohnK they are in charge of making the prototype.

Chuck (the Doc) has the measurements and Mark (the Brit) and John (the Wild card) are going to run and oversee the cnc run. Yes to adventure!

I have done a weight estimate of the plywood vs steel pipe legs. Amazingly they are approximately the same, about 12 pounds each.

1 Like

I’d go with Steel tube instead of pipe. Preferably DOM. Do you know what size you were looking at?

We were thinking first iteration in wood because it’s fast and inexpensive. Once concept proven then others in various materials.

1 Like

Strandbeest meeting #4 was just entered for June 20th 7-8p in the Creative Arts room.

Goals:
Full sized leg mockup - @ninja @mreynolds @dr_cee @JohnK
Go fund me - @uglyknees @apparently_weird
T-shirt update - @Robodude919 @talkers
Metal end pieces sketched/possibly mocked up - @motopilot @TBJK and Will who’s not on talk

Get involved!

Website is kinda sorta up - please review and see what I need to fix

3 Likes

All the dates say 2016 instead of 2018

1 Like

The website looks great so far!!! Great job!