Strandbeest Bike Group Build Discussion

I intra-library loaned myself a couple books from who knows where and I’m going to bring them to the May meeting. Lots of wonderfully close detail shots of his process. I know it’s not exactly the process were going to take but much can be learned.

1 Like

Does it have an ISBN?

And.

https://www.amazon.com/Theo-Jansen-Great-Pretender/dp/9064506302/

1 Like

Amazon has a used copy with shipping for $27.40
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/3836548496/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1525222372&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=strandbeest+the+great+machines+of+theo

I have this one till mid-June on library checkout. It’s a delicious little book.

Strandbeest. Jump to 0:52 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHFn_lwflnM

::mic drop::

2 Likes

Hmmm… Wonder if I could adapt the strandbeast leg mechs to create a working skeleton for a R/C Nekobus…

2 Likes

Just a reminder that a brainstorming session is coming up This Wednesday 6:30 - it honesty snuck up on me so I suspect it’s true for many.

I didn’t get a chance to make a model but I’m still planning to come to the meeting. I really wish I had gotten a chance to make one!

1 Like

No worries what so ever! Today I figure we will just roundtable some options of creation and talk about pros and cons. I’m bringing some stuff to mock up ideas if needed, the books, the model, and a plate of brownies - I figure we will have a better viewpoint after the meeting.

Ah damn, missing brownies!

Meeting went fantastically. Next one will be on the calendar soon for the 30th where we will have a larger mock-up thanks to @dr_cee bits and pieces will be explained by @Photomancer and I will take on the money/Pr angle. If anyone wants to help please chime in. We’re going with a plywood build with chucks design.

And thank you to all whom came out to help/experience and enjoy each other. I assure you we had a good bit of laughs.

1 Like

We are a pretty motley looking crew. Clearly eccentric genius.

1 Like

Speak for yourself, I look faaaaabuloooous daaaaaarlin’

2 Likes

You are not even in the photos!

1 Like

Well I just got done chewing on the words of dearest Theo (our homeboy) I just read “The Great Pretender” by Theo. Without a doubt he had a glass of wine as he went stream of consciousness on this book. It’s strange but makes sense it’s wonderful and heavy and funny and sure of its path ahhhhh I liked it and it also make me wrinkle my face a bit and question everything I’ve ever viewed as a pile of proteins. Highly highly recommend for all makers! I had to get an interlibrary loan from the university of Houston but I’m sure you can find them around. Really allows you to see the inner logic and passion in the beests. Also just some killer pictures of the process.

Very DaVinci like.

There are cheaper copies as used books on Amazon. My experience with reference type books is that ones rated Very Good are almost like new and most have very very few margin notes or underlines. So save $20 or so dollars on the book.

1 Like

Pushing this up - Strandbeest meeting will be Wednesday this week - 6:30p

@dr_cee is going to present a mockup (or as close as he got to a mockup)
@Photomancer is going to present what he learned about the bits and pieces
I will be talking about how we could potentially pay for this thing
@Robodude919 will be presenting some sketches for some “team” shirts

Come get involved in this wackado!

@mreynolds @Bill @motopilot

3 Likes

Wednesdays are typically bad for me, but i’ll try help where i can