Strandbeest Bike Group Build Discussion

Looking at their bill of materials, don’t know the wall thickness of the pipe, but 160’ of 4130 steel tube .049" to .058" will cost $1,000 - $1200. Bushing are $60

Rest of materials is probably $100. So minimum build price should be expected to be >= $1,300 per bicycle. I was surprised at the cost.

This is what I worked up based on what I saw on the website, I very very easily could be wrong.

24 PM

Something like this is all about balancing the materials you want to use. If you didn’t you might end up with a 200lb bike.

1 Like

Okay you’re ordering schedule 40. I was order 4130 steel for lighter weight and strength due to the spindly nature of the construction. Not sure if the 1/2" refers to ID or OD. The pipe above is .500" ID and .84" OD - it will work just need to make sure the bushing are the right size.

Going with your materials affordable

Pipe refers to ID. Tube is OD. Then when you get into copper, that’s a whole nother can or worms.

3 Likes

@TBJK and @Photomancer going to lean on your expertise on this. I just followed my gut on the metal order - does my order seem logical?

Looking at the parts catalog the OD of the bushing .3744 and the outer flange (d3) 1/2". If it is pipe ID is .500" the bushing would fall through into pipe. If pipe is ID is .3758" with .500" this makes sense everything fits snugly. Need to see drawing of fit up which will tell if 1/2" is ID or OD. Looking at the photo it appears and is logical that the large flange is sitting at the end of tubes to act as bearing surface and guide for the bolts. This flange size would need to match the OD of the pipe not the ID.

Pipe size by schedule

Lol…Well its a good thing we have a machine shop.

1 Like

If you are in need of a bike, I have one that can be used. “Brand new”, never used. Its just been sitting in my garage since I picked it up a few years ago. All I’ve done is star to strip off the decals but never went much beyond that. I had intended to ride it to work but moved farther away (plus I’m lazy)

3 Likes

Yes! Thank you for saving us some cash. We don’t have any storage for this project yet. We are all working on prototypes/brainstorming for the leg. Can I write you when we are a bit further into the project? Thank you!

1 Like

Sure thing, it’ll probably still be sitting in that same corner of my garage till the end of time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Chuck built a leg last night and got it working.

3 Likes

I apologize for not updating this as needed. We met for our first meeting and looked over the blog, talked about build options and generally just brainstormed the possibilities of construction. We decided we were going to each work on concepts and mock-ups of a single leg and meet again. Going to set a meeting for mid-May so that everyone can present mockups and anyone can jump in the meeting/early build as needed. Our very own chuck has an idea of building it from sheet vs tubing that he’s started brainstorming already. @dr_cee mocked up a leg with popsicle sticks during the last meeting to understand it well. Bring your ideas, skills, or just curiosity date will be announced after the picnic so that I can look at my calendar. Lots of great things happening!.

3 Likes

Gotta wait till 2019 for the next meeting? Darn!!

Unless you meant May of course… :smiley:

1 Like

Nicole has issues __________

2 Likes

If we can build this thing out of Arcylic and popsicle sticks, even I’m going to be impressed…:grin:

Second meeting has been Setup and will be on the calendar within 48h- May 9th 6:30p in the purple classroom. Specifically we will be presenting any mockups and concepts for the bike. Snacks will be provided.

http://www.iblaine.com/building-a-walking-bike-strandbeest-bike/

Strandbeest bike.pdf (1.8 MB)

Check this out (specifically noting that he said it doesn’t work)

I was asked to grab some measurements of the bike so here are some rough measurements. All with the bike on the side stand. Let me know if you need more or have found a place to store it at DMS (or somewhere else)

Ground to seat height - 37 7/8"

Rear sprocket to front sprocket - 17 1/8"

Ground to rear sprocket - 13 3/4"

Rear Sprocket to seat - 25 1/2"

3 Likes

"the-internet-is-wonderful-resources-of-the-day:

Scans of a very expensive book/process https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/blogs.cornell.edu/dist/c/2461/files/2012/09/Theo-Jensen-The-Great-Pretender-Pregluton-Gluton-2bmvr25.pdf

A few detailed images from his Chicago show: https://nerdist.com/walking-with-the-incredible-strandbeests-of-theo-jansen/