Storage shed project / build log

Ah, found it. Here’s pictures of Godzilla tormenting the cats.

For scale, this is our 22lb cat…

He’s sunning on the window ledge, taunting

6 Likes

Slogging towards completion…

Goal: lean this stack against the side of the shed…

I successfully leaned a panel!

Actually quite a bit of work to get here. Stud lines were initially transcribed onto the tyvek before the last layer went up. Then they were extended down to the point they could be transcribed onto the cheater board. Each panel has to be cut by 1" lengthwise (why did I not use a 1x2 cheater board?), 16" centerlines drawn, then hole locations marked. Since this is the outer strata that adds some strength to the inner, I’m doing roughly double the fastener density to maximize strength.

In Theory™ my offsets are different so I shouldn’t hit any other fasteners. In reality, I didn’t hit any axially, but some poor planning resulted in hitting a few laterally. Oops. That’s what paintable caulking is for.

It’s not apparent. but the realities of squareness (or slight lack thereof) forced me to lay these out so that subsequent panels had to slide under the last installed panel. Took some gentle fine-tuning with a mallet but I managed to coax them into position; here’s hoping the other side does not suffer this problem.

Not sure if it’s advisable, but you can plunge-cut with a handheld circular saw. Sure made for a neater and faster cut than futzing with the saber saw.

Temporary work bracing while I get the initial screws into place. The cheater board was an absolute lifesaver for this project.

Progress for the day. Not bad for a late start interrupted by lawn mowing and an early end of day - decided that perhaps I should socialize with others this evening.

@kyrithia - some bonus content for you:

One of the adult spiny lizards hesitated when I stepped out the front door and I got a slightly-not-terrible photo. Most of the time I just hear - maybe catch a flicker of motion - as one noisily flees the scene.

6 Likes

Time for the usual progress report!

South and west sides done.

Mistakes made in trying to affix the panel.

⅜" stock isn’t known for its rigidity, thus the panels are almost guaranteed to warp, thus two points of contact along the lower edge is the best one can hope for.

Adding to the conundrum, squareness in carpentry is an ideal, an image in one’s mind, a perfection to strive for that just doesn’t exist in the real world.

Upon snugging up the panel on the right to the one on the left, two problems manifested. First, contact with the cheater board on the left side was a distant rumor. Second, the panel wasn’t aligning with its neighbor. Much struggle ensued, but I thought I had it lined up, committed a few initial screws, made a too-cursory glance at the seam then happily drilled all the pilot holes. As I was working my way down that seam my error became apparent. [sigh]. Much re-rigging later I get a more satisfactory fit and re-drill pilot holes.

Because all the panels are being blind-fit over the sheating, layout is an important - if not -time-consuming - process. I think I spent more time on this part than the cutting and hanging combined. It paid off, however - only one of the oddball panels had any issues with stud alignment…

… as evidenced above. As an added bonus, the K-brace is in that region, so I just decided to effectively skip a screw and do an 18" interval rather than 12".

A last little detail for the day.

I filled the seams with paintable caulk - hopefully that will greatly minimize water ingress behind the siding. On some of them I was neat enough with the bead that I didn’t bother smoothing it; these tended to be the later ones as I got the technique down.

Went through almost an entire tube. Thankfully it’s cheap.

Plywood stack … depleted!

8 Likes

:crying_cat_face:
no reptilian help today?

:cry:
No shoes shot, again?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Almost looks like a shed! :+1:

1 Like

Lizards were laying low or something.

The end is truly in sight. One more weekend and the thing can be painted, minimally trimmed, and enclosed.

4 Likes

Vaguely contemplating a class at some point:
How not to Build a Shed in a Few Short Weekends for Less than $1000

9 Likes

Just think…by the time the paint is dried and you are done with the interior shelving / fixtures - the weather should be cool enough to start moving stowable items in without breaking a heavy sweat!

4 Likes

Load in comfort! :blankspace:

2 Likes

Took a comp day and it was like Amish Spring Break jokes.

Not enough clearance under the outer window frame so the ½" chisel put in some work. I need to prime these and all the other trim pieces.

Bulk paint coverage 25% complete (will be doing 2 coats).

6 Likes

Looking great.
I wish I progressed at all on mine- haha, procrastination strikes again.

The climate this time of year all but encourages procrastination.

1 Like

Got the bulk surface painting done today and much of the trim (window, vertical) painted. Home Despot naturally doesn’t actually carry the door I wanted locally so looks like I get to shim in the next best thing - thankfully smaller and reasonably convenient dimensional reduction.

Took photos, but honestly it’s paint and looks a lot like Thursday’s photos. Look up “Silver Blue Sea” and “Gray Metal” Glidden paint if you want visuals.

2 Likes

So I do a lot of spreadsheets and CAD trying to calculate materials…

In this case, I determined I can do the ‘siding’ for the roof truss ends with eight 12’ 1x4’s. Fifteen 21¾" slats with 15° cuts offsetting steadily increasing amounts will do the trick.

Or I can buy one sheet of plywood probably at a lower cost and certainly less effort. Choices. So many choices.

1 Like

90/90 rule is thoroughly in effect.

Prepping for door trim since the “slat wall” siding has been chosen.

Fortuitous timing - slats fell right as I snapped the photo.

Almost 30’ of 1x4 to make the slat siding. I clearly missed a few spots on the edges.

Window trim installed. Not sure if the construction adhesive I used in addition to the screws is doing much besides removing paint on the backside.

My caulking technique is kinda sh_t. Oh well. Some of that can be touched up later.

Painted the exposed roof structure since I know I’m not going to get around to trimming that part for some time. Better protection than primer and also hides some of the funkiness of the whole affair.

Bought this rolling trunk thinking it would be useful for containing things inside the shed once it’s finished but it’s just been too handy as a mobile toolbox.

It is my sincere hope that I can get the “slat siding”, vertical trim, and door installed tomorrow.

5 Likes

What are you going to do once this is done?!!

1 Like

My love of flavor crystals is not so great that I’ll ever realize that many coffee cans.

I actually really like the look of that. May have to copy it.

A guess would be to see if Nicole wants to build one in here backyard.(in keeping with being excellent to others)?

1 Like

Erik’s Shed Service
Open June - October 11AM-6PM
Must provide lizards and water.

10 Likes

My rates and other demands will be profoundly unreasonable.

6 Likes