Storage shed project / build log

I think that’s the Ranger’s general motto. “Eh, it works, sort of.” Glad I didn’t have to spend the money and fuel to get something bigger.

1 Like

Lol. I had a 2001 or 2002 Ranger with the 4 banger for work. That thing got the same mileage as any full sized van I drove loaded.
It also though was loaded with some tools, that thing sucked balls.

2 Likes

So long as we’re going down the vehicles tangent…

The Mazda 4-banger engine was always a poor fit to the Ranger, but it was a regular in the lower trims and - depressingly - fleet vehicles far more likely to be burdened with cargo. My '95 Ranger had problems maintaining highway speed under a distressing variety of conditions - not enough Wheaties™ in 5th gear, out of RPMs in 4th gear.

The 3L V6 in my '03 isn’t a miracle of HP, torque, nor fuel efficiency, but in exchange for a modest notch lower fuel efficiency it has little trouble maintaining highway speed.

The return of the Ranger in 2019 seems to be the truck that Ford just doesn’t want to sell in the US. It will be markedly more capable than its forebears, but I suspect it will offer less performance-per-dollar than the F150. The 2.3L turbo 4-banger that’s the sole engine looks to be reasonably-capable on paper and has reviewed well in the Mustang, but hard to say how it will do in the Ranger. And despite the current-generation Ranger being a global vehicle, it’s not going to be quite the same in the US as the rest of the world.

1 Like

Unlike forced-induction projects, factory turbos tend to be fairly conservative since they have warranties that manufacturers can’t weasel out of too often. Not sure how well turbo gas engines hold up under sustained heavy towing / hauling; Ford has been promoting various EcoBoost F150s for many years now and I believe the global Ranger T6 has something like a maximum 7700lb tow rating. Perhaps they’re counting on occasional recreational usage with vocational usage being directed to the Super Duty?

1 Like

You hit the nail on the head.

Some excerpts:
…with steel bash-plates and tow hooks…
Two cab and bed options are available, but only one wheelbase is offered.
…Ford now expects that buyers of the new Ranger won’t be a traditional F-Series customer.
…newer, more adventurous customers…
There was much talk about the Ranger “not just carrying your adventure gear, but becoming a part of it.” Marketing-speak translation: Ford wants buyers willing to splurge on the Ranger because they think it’s cool, even if they in no way need a pickup truck. The lack of a stripper model with plastic wheel well trim pieces leads us to believe that higher-volume, lower-profit fleet sales/work truck sales aren’t as high of a priority.

So yea, it’s going to be for delivering your disease factories™ to soccer practice complete with all the ball bags, even if you have to go over a curb or two to get there. (Proper respect to Walter).

1 Like

My neighbor has the EcoBoost twin turbo v6 F150 and tows a massive 5th wheel through the mountain passes in the Rockies with no issues. The turbos help a lot at the higher altitudes.

that’s the key “projects” vs “factory”…

Never buy someone else’s forced-induction project.

2 Likes

you mean “money pit” ?

Nice shed overkill project!

3 Likes

you know Tom, its making me want to overbuild a workshop shed too. I’ve definitely outgrown the garage…

Yes you have, and I have things like pneumatic framing tools and other gear that would make it go a little quicker - but holy Phook Summer time in Texas is not the ideal shed building time.

3 Likes

I ended up getting a nail gun of my own, but I know you have 2 of everything ever made…

oh yeah, @ESmith is clearly insane.

3 Likes

All German made…

1 Like

nope mostly moon walker made.

Bostitch & Paslode are US made (well mine are old enough to be)…
My electrics are usually Bosch - older corded ones were made by the Swiss - their blades still are.

2 Likes

MJ Tools

Steve,

David aka “photomancer” refers to the United States as the land of the “Moon-walkers” since we landed on the moon - long before the entertainer you posted.

2 Likes

Origins of Moon Walker phrase at DMS:

When working overseas for about 12 years with major aerospace companies, the suppliers often complain how our drawings were in inches, if they have something else to complain about. How archaic inches are and vastly superior metric was. This is the poster I had on the wall of my office and as screen saver.

I’d point to poster and say: “When you get there lets talk.” Especially since all they had to do on CAD drawings is press a button to change the units.

2 Likes

Egad - he’s at it again!

Fixturing for time savings less than precision.

Big Ta-Ka-Radi set? Some of you might know of it as Jenga.

Raised the humidity a little installing these despite the fact it’s not much physical work…

Nothing like working in the sun on a highly reflective surface…

Took a little “tuning” to get there. But now I know that foil-backed rigid foam has a higher R-value per in² than the bog standard variety…

Wait. Did I leave a tool under there… ?

6 Likes

Label side up is more efficient, right?

WARNING: BODGE AHEAD

Not inmediately apparent, but I mismeasured the decking. It should have sit ¾" into the joist. Instead, since I measured from the wrong reference point it sat just inside the joist. I don’t have enough plywood to re-cut that section of deck but I do have scrap 2x6 so I made a section for it to sit on. Then I tweaked the foam to fit around it. With 8 #10 screws holding it in place I think it’s going to hold up.

I now have a … deck?

10 Likes

Clearly it’s time to throw a party on this impressively constructed dance floor! :smile:

7 Likes