Storage shed project / build log

How do you do strikeouts in responses here? I couldn’t find an option that would do that earlier. Course, it’s obviously operator error. And perhaps using the phone to read…

Use <s></s> or strike.
Here’s a decent reference

3 Likes

I used the HTML tags, which I’m still modestly surprised are allowed.

2 Likes

Burning vacation, so might as well make progress on the interior…

Cut (nearly all) of the short panels and attached them. Got (nearly all) of the baseboards cut and attached to the wall.

Started layout on the EVA foam tiles for the floor.

A couple of mistakes were (mostly) kluged out of existence.

Punch list:

1. Cut and fit the loose tiles so the floor is complete
  2. Decide how to finish the rest of the floor not covered by (1)
  3. Need to decide how the door is going to trim out
  4. Cut and install the final panels depending on (3)
  5. Determine how the ceiling is going to be finished out…
5 Likes

Getting alarmingly close to interior being finished out. Were it not for my desire to insulate the ceiling (gotta do something with the 8+ batts I’ve got remaining) I’d be tempted to procure some racks and start loading the thing.

Trimmed out the window.

Today’s theme is clamps, btw.

Opted for adhesive to secure 2/3 inner door trim pieces.

I’m not sold on adhesive for construction. Sure it forms a strong bond, so long as…

• You clean the mating surfaces perfectly
  • You secure the mating pieces for hours while the adhesive sets
  • Your adhesive is compatible with the various surfaces
  • You ignore the penalty in adhesive cost and setup time vs fasteners

Finished the interior panelling. Note the use of fasteners on the third door trim - didn’t want to remove the door to clamp so the fasteners are permanent fixturing for the adhesive…

Built a jig for cutting the foam tiles - a dozen cuts and the utility blade is shot.

Looks like I can measure a distance then divide by two correctly!

Starting to look like … how I originally envisioned it!

Punch list:

• Pull DC wiring to the light switch by the door
  • Procure and at least minimally wire some UF-B (in at least 10/3) for the eventual power connection
  • Finish the other half of the sunshade
  • Install some stubs on the ceiling beams for the eventual DC lighting
  • Insulate the ceiling (twine running lengthwise perpendicular to the beams an installation aid for that process)
  • Install the ceiling panels
  • Terminate the DC lighting wiring
10 Likes

Nice Job! It really looks nice. I have a 30 year old shed which is an eyesore and I have the land to build a big one but Carrollton requires brick if it is 240 sq feet or larger…yuk. I do worry about the roof. I bought double thick lexan panels that look similar for a patio cover and the first pea sized hail went right through and the next time was the big hail…

Sorry for you luck with the Lexan.

The manufacturer of the panels I chose makes them from polycarbonate and claims immunity to 1" hail so I’m hoping they survive most hailstorms without issue.

1 Like

Tantalizingly close to completion, but still not there.

Potato photo, but I found a way to properly space my permanent ceiling panel installation jigs top trim with just two hands.

All trim installed.

Testing insulation fitment. Multiple brands because Home Despot and Slowe’s stock different brands…

First ceiling panel Installed.

Made up these DC light fixtures … a long time ago (back when the Cree XR-E was the shizz for power LEDs) … and decided to put them to work. They’re a bit klugey (cold solder joints, no strain relief for the pigtail connections, who the hell glues down a MCPCB to the heatsink then solders onto components; I’ll have to re-work 3 of them). Think they’ll provide adequate illumination for occasional item-fetching since 6 of the same LED provided adequate secondary illumination for my bedroom + master bathroom.

8 Likes

Attempting to break free of the 90/90/90 rule, I’ve started to slouch towards completion.

I’ve been casually battling seepage problems in the roof. First there was some back drip onto the flashing over the trim which seeped down the gaps in the trim. Then there was some under-seepage in the same spots where I had bridged the gap. Then there was some odd low-volume seepage apparently from the roof peak.

Think I have these all solved now …

Installed two more ceiling panels. There was some damage along the way. At this point I’ll live with the ding to fit-and-finish.

My complex and sophisticated light-testing apparatus.

Hopefully I’m done with this and actually storing things in this structure (besides meta storage: tools and materials for finishing the thing out) some time before the year ground-breaking anniversary.

EDIT: And by then I can re-engineer the roof with sensible long-end overhang using conventional methods: decking, tar paper, roll roofing (because no one wants to nail down 3-tab shingles if they don’t have to) and gutters.

4 Likes

I missed the groundbreaking anniversary but have continued to slog on this forever project.

I knew the low-to-negative overhang on the roof was a problem, so I addressed it:

Seepage happened prior nonetheless :expressionless:

It was quite ugly.

I remediated the mold:

1:8 bleach:water along with power tools makes for easier work

Since that’s the side of the building that gets hammered with summer sun, I opted for rigid foam insulation:

2/3 of the way done with the initial 1/2" - so much fitting.

2 additional layers of 1"

Done. A productive day where I also lost who knows how much (water) weight while I was still guzzling bug juice.

7 Likes

Oddly enough, this morning, I thought to myself “I bet Erik’s glad he’s not still working on the shed in this heat.”

Silly me…

On the bright side, it makes you appreciate the small joys in life like taking a shower and then flopping spread-eagle on the bed.

4 Likes

So very odd that would come to mind…

Roof extensions were a few weeks ago. Mold remediation was yesterday (along with lawn mowing). Insulation install was today, which was not as bad as Saturday’s beatdown.

2 Likes

Tetris’ed the last ceiling panel in place. Not the woodgrain panel I had planned on - oh no, the last piece has been cut about an inch too short…

And now it’s serving as Storage Shed 1.0:

In related news, I had insomnia last night and attempted to address it working on an outline for How not to build a shed for less than $1000 in a few short weekends. Didn’t cure my insomnia but it’s ~80% complete now. Maybe I’ll schedule an event and tell the tale of how I did it, why I did it, mistakes I don’t care to repeat if I build another similar structure again, and espouse my personal theory of small structure design.

9 Likes

Now that you have it complete you will need to fill it. I added a storage room (10x14) to my home when I built it years ago. I had hopes it would solve the “where do I put all of this stuff?” problem or at least stem the acquisition, but alas it didn’t. In fact, it just opened the door to more stuff (pun intended). I predict that your beautiful new unit will be full in a matter of weeks.

Nice job on the project. I’m sure it is nicer than anything you could have bought and had delivered.

1 Like