Stereo Microscope

Well the DMS Wishlist on Amazon has the model scope I would really like but it is $530.

That is very similar to the one I had at my last job. Not the best in the world, but pretty much the minimum functionality unfortunately (minus the camera tap)

Edit: Although it seems to come with extra lenses which is unnecessary.

When you have $1,500 in your budget itā€™s hard to spend a third or more on one tool when you have so many needs.

Please feel free to make suggestions on the wish list.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s fair. Additionally Iā€™d rather not see us buy one that is unusable. Those bases pretty much make them impossible to use as a soldering station. Close objectives are the same.

1 Like

@Lampy, I am a novice when it comes to electronics and especially electronicsā€™ tools, but I think that other committees are better at raising money. The woodshop and CA come to mind especially. The real secret is to teach courses where at least 3 people show up. (I know this is stating the obvious, but each course is worth potentially $100)

I would take basic electronics, component identification (what is a MOSFET anyway?), what is SMT and why is it better, Eagle training, circuit design basics & principles, what the heck is a curve tracer and spectrum analyzer good for, how to properly use an oscilloscope, how to test RF circuits, anything Arduino or Raspberry PI related, etc. Hey even an HTML 5 or C programming course should qualify.

I would like to see at least one electronics course a month on the schedule. If I could teach one I would, but Iā€™m just not qualified. If everyone on the electronics committee would teach at least one youā€™d be well on your way to a fatter budget. Maybe Iā€™m just unaware of the electronics classes, but I see this as a way to build participation in electronics and your budget at the same time.

Thoughts?

1 Like

To add potential topics: basic analog electronics (ohms law type stuff), conductor ampacities and power ratings

Simple things that have a wide appeal.

I agree more classes to add funding is in need for electronics. But, Electronics may have had items stolen and requiring them to teach classes in order to replace stolen items seems like a crappy solution. I would suggest going to the board and asking for funds to replace the items most likely stolen and using the funding from classes to support growth of the committee.

So, this might be a total piece of junk, but possibly not. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056X4RRS/
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/716gqdasVjL.SL1200.jpg

I was more thinking of buying those advanced e-lab items on the DMS Wishlist nad those that @DanielHooper suggested than replacing stolen items. A fatter budget would facilitate a lot of enhanced electronics equipment.

More importantly than raising money - teaching classes gets more members involved in the Space. The more they become involved in an area the more it becomes ā€œTHEIR Space.ā€

No matter how messy, cluttered or blind spots - stealing is always 100% on the thief. Period. No mitigating factors for that type of behavior. Nothing we did or didnā€™t do justifies anything they did.

2 Likes

I agree with @Photomancer and I said so in my original post. [quote=ā€œcoloneldan, post:25, topic:7833ā€]
but I see this as a way to build participation in electronics
[/quote] Creating ownership in a committee is a key ingredient to growing participation and improving the overall DMS experience. I also agree with @Nick that having to ā€œlockā€ stuff up makes it more difficult to participate in electronics, but I also appreciate the necessity. It is just a shame that it has come to having to do so.

We have usually have 3-4 classes on the calendar, this month was a little light. I agree there should be more! I personally donā€™t have time to teach classes as Iā€™m trying to keep the lab together.

Where Woodshop and CA are successful is that they have others beside the chairman teaching classes. Last year I only had time to teach 2-3 classes and have done none so far this year.

Unfortunately we donā€™t have the option of replacing loaned equipment with lousy replacements. The scope was loaned as well as the PCB Mill.

I donā€™t prefer to lock things up but the situation is forcing my hand. Iā€™m pretty tired of walking the space looking for our stuff prior to posting on talk hey yaā€™ bastards what have you done with X.

2 Likes

I agree about there locks - I hate them but we are starting to have to use them. Considering a training class on the Roto-cutter and cutting mats. People donā€™t seem to know how to put them up after use ā€¦ or clean up afterwards. Must insert RFID tag to release lock, then releases RFID after item is restowed (I know, a total fantasy).

When doing the RFID check outs can it interface with the camera system to tag the event to make it easier to find the video clips?

That really sucks. Any theft sucks, but gets worse in proportion to how expensive and essential the device, and of course the fact that the theft was made from a position of trust.
Not to be naive, but why steal from the space??? The gadget is right there, just come in and use it. Selling it probably gets a dime on the dollar and just makes it all the more infuriating.

I think fighting this type of theft / abuse is a form of social hygiene and is very much worth the effort.

Is there a group / meeting that focuses on loss prevention?

2 Likes

As there has been renewed interest in SMD/SMT work at the space, Iā€™ll re-iterate my opinion that this is the best bang for the buck on a stereo microscope:

http://www.amscope.com/stereo-microscopes/3-5x-90x-binocular-stereo-boom-microscope-ring-light.html

Iā€™ve used this exact model at home for years and have been very pleased. Never regretted the expenditure.

2 Likes

This thead saddens me. If I I get a chance I will be contributing more.

Curious how would a tool checkout for meters and whatnot work?

There was talk of having some lockers modified with RFID tag readers and electric locks. Members would use their RFID tags to open the lock and check the tool out. They would be responsible for returning it in good operating condition.

I could live with that. It suggests to me that we would need the position of an auditor, someone who does a weekly/monthly inspection of said area to verify every thing is there.are no problems. Could have helped with the other stuff.I am a bitOCD so it woud be a good office for me when I am able.

We looked into a number of various ways to control the movement of bench gear including tethering gear to the bench. Overall it was deemed to much of a hassle. Also when the major thefts occurred the ELab had only one camera. We got a second camera which did not work reliably at first. I can assure you that both cameras work very well and are checked on a regular basis. And for those who think they can coverup their activities by turning off the room lights - think again.