Steps for becoming a laser teacher?

I’ve been using the lasers for over a year now, and I’d consider myself pretty adept with them. Usually help people out with their laser projects when things go wrong, and people usually appreciate the hands-on teaching when i help them out. What would be the next steps to becoming an official teacher? Also, there are no laser classes on the events calendar right now, is there a reason for that? I am also interested in teaching zing.

Edit: If there’s some way i’d be able to get cleared to do maintenance on the lasers, i would be up for that as well

3 Likes

To become a teacher, usually we ask you shadow a current teacher. Like @squaredroots or me. Then one of us will shadow your first class, mostly there as support.

I’m waiting to see how things play out this week before adding more classes to the schedule.

Reach me directly at 214.799.0299 or [email protected].

It would be great to have another teacher in board.
:v: john

3 Likes

For maintenance, the best way is to come to any of the committee cleaning days, we usually go over lens cleaning and if needed laser alignment.

In addition to what John mentioned, I need to approve any new teachers. Don’t let that scare you off though, the more the merrier. If you can’t find time to shadow any of the laser classes coming up let me or the vice chair (squaredroots, the other teacher John mentioned) and we can set something up.

1 Like

Maybe I’ll help too. I taught laser at my previous makerspace for years. When I took the class to get signed off at DMS, I ended up teaching half the class for Max because I knew more than he did about everything. :joy:

3 Likes