Steam roller * the process!

the steam roller team had a very successful print day today. but how did it all begin!

March 31 a class of 10 did not know what to expect and wondered if the project they were going to tackle over the next month was like jumping into the deep end!

here is a photo album of the process, from concept, collaborative workdays, frantic finishing up to the final prints that @uglyknees posted today.

the Flying Printmonkeys all did a wonderful job and all had successful prints. Once they are dry they will be shown in the Makerspace Hallways as @Diplomat has suggested.

8 Likes

Awesome amazing outstanding work guys!

1 Like

Paul is right on! The entire process was probably the best experience for me at DMS so far. I learned so much: from picture editing software to hand graving with super duper cool tools, and, of course, laser! Above all though, it was the collaborative workdays that made it such a wonderful adventure. We learned a lot and supported each other. My print wouldn’t have been the same without the help of Stephenie, (@heyheymama) and Matthew (@HoarseHorace ) on the laser, Josh (@grobber15) and Astrud (@Print_Witch) with their technical engraving skills and Rose (@Just_Me) and Rani (@Trivial), who always had a positive word. Last but not least, I want to thank Astrud because she made us all rock today! We wouldn’t have been there without ya’! Thank y’all! Can’t wait for the next event.

6 Likes

At the today’s event, the actual steamrolling, the work stations were almost completely manned by DMS’s Printmaking SIG team, aka “The Flying Printmonkeys”. Astrud and Paul had tshirts made up for us. You should have seen the see of burgundy. We looked and acted like the team we’ve become. Bonus: performing so much of the work means we have real experience from which to draw when we hold our own steamroller print event.

I’m with Ingrid @FrenchFrog. Printmaking SIG is a real community. Definitely feel the pull to belong. That culture begins at the top with @Hardsuit and @Print_Witch and has been embraced by all.

4 Likes

I wonder if this would be something we could add to Open House this year?

1 Like

After the Open House. Too much work to pull off both. Use Open House with the hands-on silk screen printing station to advertise. “Like what you see? Come back on [date] for the Go Big or Go Home Steamroller Print-a-rama.”

1 Like

Yes, @Print_Witch and I were chatting about this and we’re in agreement it would be best to do it separately from Open House. While theoretically possible, we think it would have too many moving parts if we tried to do it at the same time, and would take up too much space. We can advertise it during Open House, and have some other smaller scale printmaking demonstrations going.

2 Likes

I wonder if it could be done along with the Cross Timbers art tour later in the fall