Status of Hydraulic Press

We were wanting to use the hydraulic press to make our YBCO pellets for our super conductor project. The press is marked out of service and looks to have some damage on the press cylinder foot.

Any idea on if this will be back in service?

Thanks

Paging @TLAR

1 Like

Additionally @yashsedai since he was helping with the upgrades / replacement parts last I checked.

Someone broke/or it broke, the pump section a few days ago.

2 Likes

I was going to look at it this evening. Once I have a diagnosis, I’ll post up

2 Likes

Ken,

First off - Glad to have you back and great to see your posts! Yes you were missed.

Several Fockers contributed to focking up the press - not just one individual.

Freddy ordered a new ram for it - even made in the USA along with new press plates, also made in the USA (am I allowed to say that? the USA part?). The upper mount is slightly different than how the current ram is mounted, but we have a solution and Freddy is going to order the necessary materials to get it back in serviceable condition.

A few notes on the Press:

There is a new winch mounted to the side of it as well, and should outlast the life of the members.

The winch is for raising and lowering the bed only.
IT is NOT for forcing the ram back into the cylinder (you know who you are).
IT is NOT for a more convenient height for press operations - the bed must rest on the steel pins with slack in the cable before applying a hydraulic force.

Like anything in automotive or anything else at the Makerspace - if you aren’t sure - just ASK.

4 Likes

What do you call someone who asks but does what he wants anyway? :expressionless:

an askhole?

2 Likes

:+1: :blankspace:

I’d call that a person that gets referred to the nex BOD to get booted from the DMS - we (the membership and the folks that volunteer deserve better)

2 Likes

I usually call them banned from using the tool they intentionally violated the rules on

3 Likes

This evening Tim Bene and I took the pump apart. We determined it is toast. We will be ordering a replacement to put it back into service.

6 Likes

Thank you Sir! Most Excellent.

Always amazes me how many people can just seek & destroy anything. It’s like they don’t treat the tools like they are theirs. Indirectly they are but hey we got lots of $$$.

3 Likes

Ken,

They are paying $60. The abusers genuinely “feel” they have the “right” to do as they please because they purchased the all inclusive 24/7 $60 ticket

It is just that simple.

We just need a filter to weed out the pondscum.
You’re into accounting - you tell me, how many Fockers at the old rate of $50ea abusing the hydraulic press from crushing coins to breaking winches(plural) and destroying the ram, plates and pump does it take to make up for rebuilding the press? Where are these jokers when it comes time for maintenance, repair, cleanup or anything other than getting “$60 of use or abuse out of the makerspace” ?

New parts costs rounded off :
Plates $325
Ram $350
Pump $350
Winch $100
Cable $100

Only 24.5 Member/Months

Is that all the cable and winch replacements as of late or just the latest ones?

1 Like

Current winch is robust made in USA winch. One before it was from northern tool and didn’t survive long.
The cable is new. That had not been replaced before. If properly used (haha) it would have sufficed for just raising and lowering the press bed.
The replacement cable is also of better quality - stainless I believe, and there is more of it - so if metal shop needs any wire rope just ask…

To tie up and bind the loose nuts running around not following the rules? :smiley:

1 Like