Status check - learning.dms.local

Are we still supporting Moodle at the space and is there any special requirements to create classes on our site?

1 Like

@AlexRhodes is promoting its use, partially as a resolution to the tool-matrix and ā€œtraining requiredā€ conundrum. Asking him would be one way (possibly the best) to start down the pathway to class creation. :+1:

1 Like

Yes

Right now there are a few people who can add people as a course creator.

Managers can modify classes in their sections as well.

Itā€™s recommend you create your course in Word format or a SCROM1.2 compatible format. Once you have your class we can work with you to get it on Moodle.

If you can get the cert added to the server it would be much appreciated. I have asked @StanSimmons for several months but it hasnā€™t been done yet. I would reach out to him when possible.

Moodle is shaping up to become a larger part of our training.

If you have other questions on Moodle let me know and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Moodle isnā€™t perfect but itā€™s free and open source.

4 Likes

by ā€œcertā€ Iā€™m taking you meaning an ssl certificate? Could we send over the pem files to my dms email?

I do agree that moodle isnā€™t perfect but overall it works, and would be better than what VCC is currently looking into with udemy or google classroom.

A couple of months ago, I learned (self-taught) the basics of Moodle, and want to get the @Team_TrainDev restarted on efforts to inventory Basic Training classes, write content, and then convert them to Moodle. Would you like me to add your name to the team?

Iā€™m in the process of doing my first one. Creating the content is the easy part. My question is going to be on how to create the ā€˜testā€™ and how to incorporate it. any help is appreciated.
-Nick

1 Like

Can we meet some time at DMS to talk about it? Iā€™d love to help. You can text or call me directly at 314-477-4477.

To start with, make a list of the major points that you are teaching in the class, along with all the required machine safety and personal safety points that students are required to know before operating solo.

These points will be the basis of your test, and will ensure that they are adequately covered in your content.

Nancee

Ditto I want to get a couple of them done: Bridgeport & Engine Lathe.

May we have that in a class? I suspect many will want to know this.

1 Like

Iā€™ll be around Friday-Sunday. Although technically there Thursday Iā€™ll be tied up with the committee meeting and memberā€™s meeting. Cheers!

1 Like

@nicksilva I will probably drop in to observe (not participate) in a jewelry class on Friday evening. I can meet you about 8 or 8:30 for that in the Common Room. Please have the above-mentioned list ready for us to talk about.

@Bill Definitelyā€“Iā€™ll start working up a class on how to create a test. This applies directly to the Basic Training classes that we need to help with creating and developing.

@Photomancer Yes, and I apologize for dropping out of DMS for a while. Hopefully, youā€™ve checked your mail and see that Iā€™d like to schedule a TrainDev meeting soon. I just wish I could browse by classroom availabilityā€¦ :frowning: :anguished:

@jast I noticed in another thread that youā€™re coming along with Moodle. Great! Now we just need written content to put into Moodle. I hope you can attend the meeting Iā€™m going to schedule (not yet on the calendar, Iā€™ll dry to do this shortly) so we can start assigning efforts. Letā€™s look at Davidā€™s @Photomancer content to get it going.

Hi Nancee,
I would still love to help transition instructorsā€™ content to Moodle, if you need assistance!

Thanks!

Absolutely, I remember you from the meeting I had a couple months ago. Iā€™m thinking, letā€™s get these basic training courses in a respectable structure, and written on paper, that way they are consistently taught and tested. So, writing is needed first. But they donā€™t have to be nearly as complicated as we do on the professional worldā€“they just need to cover the important points, be remembered and applied, and ensure safety.

Iā€™m surprised at how much teaching is done off the hip, spontaneously, and may or may not cover the required safety points. Iā€™m going to present a series of ā€œhow to write a BT courseā€ classes to start people thinking about structure.

Later, we can take the written content and put it in Moodle.

So for those whom are wanting to know we set up a cert from letsencrypt and now https://learn.dallas.ms/ actually works.

3 Likes

:spittake:
:open_mouth::hushed:
:scream:
:clap::clap::clap:
:fireworks::sparkler::sparkles::balloon::balloon::sparkles::balloon::tada::confetti_ball::heartpulse::two_hearts::cherries::bomb::boom::tada::confetti_ball:
:dancer::man_dancing::dancer::man_dancing:
:+1:
:horns: :you_are_super:
:party_on:

Sadly, it does not.
But https://learn.dallasmakerspace.org does!
:party_on:

Dohā€¦ Iā€™ll be fixing that and the other secondary domains later

1 Like