Star Wars: The Void

For those that may not have heard, Industrial Light and Magic have entered into VR. This changes everything. There is an installation in West Plano. I just got back from it and the term they are using is “hyper reality” and they aren’t exaggerating.

Teams of four don backpacks with helmets and are transported into a rebel mission. Through the mission you get blaster rifles and get haptic feedback when hit. You see each of your other team members in Stormtrooper armor. There are buttons and handles that you see in VR and feel/interact with in the real world. This is something I highly encourage others to experience for themselves.

8 Likes

What’s it cost? Reservations needed?

1 Like

Tickets are 30 and yes, I would plan ahead. The tickets are sold 12 to each time bucket. Opening weekend was pretty much sold completely out.

2 Likes

How long was it? Time I mean.

1 Like

FAQ says 30 but for peak times plan for an hour. Yesterday was day 2 and we left 1hr 15 mins after our scheduled start time.

1 Like

How long was the VR experience? THat looks hella fun for $30

1 Like

Honestly tough to gage. Didn’t look at time once we were through the door. There is mission briefing, equipment check, then go go go. Once you complete the mission, there is a group photo and equipment storage.

1 Like

A quicky googler search returned these, for anyone curious but as lazy as me (maybe slightly more lazy, eh? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ).

https://www.cinemark.com/thevoid

Ugly Google Maps URL

I’m not really that interested in games nor VR, and this still looks interesting!

1 Like

Since you put that up, I will say yes, you do land on a magma planet and the heat radiates where it should. It wasn’t uncomfortable, but did dial up the realism to 12.

6 Likes

Modernized Laser Tag?

…kind of… the VR aspect brings the hesitation. You are also shooting at virtual targets so…

2 Likes

Haptic feedback…is FF on? :slight_smile:

Are you standing still or on a tread mill?

Neither you are actively moving around the set.

3 Likes

FYI, I found myself seeing a movie at the theater on Sunday and one of the employees says they will change the theme every so often and were expecting a haunted house one. She didn’t say whether they would be able to run two separate VRs at the same time and I’m sure they’ll go back to Star Wars at some point, but don’t put this off if you want to be sure.

1 Like

The void has a couple different experiences across the country. Am guessing it won’t switch often, unless every experience utilizes the same “set”.

My daughter and I did this in Orlando in June when we went to Disney. We loved it it was around $30 for each player. and the experience was around 20 to 25 min. We loved the smells and all the sensory overloads we received from this experience. I highly recommend everyone to try it. I have a work mate that did this last Sunday and he loved it to. He also found out that in October its going to be a scary experience and in Nov it should be a Wreck it Ralph one. I plane on doing them all.

1 Like

Is the set just plywood shapes that line up with VR or is it more of a Mixed/augmented Reality on a detailed set?

My understanding is more the former, with some key elements being interactable just like in the virtual space. For example, buttons are physically there and will actually open doors.

Sounds like the old Virtual World places with VR replacing the game pods.