Stamping Copper

I have a new stamp. I have copper stamping blanks. I did not, however, have the foresight to realize that I don’t have the strength to stamp a 1 inch diameter image onto metal with a hammer. Seems like an arbor press would be what I need to use for this. If that sounds about right, could someone verify that’d work and that there’s one somewhere I could use, or if not what I might use instead? The example in the photo came with the stamp, shows what I’m trying to do. Thanks in advance for any advice.

There is an arbor press in machine shop and a hydraulic press in automotive. I don’t know the status of either.

@Team_Machine_Shop

2 Likes

The presses in the machine shop work. Don’t know if they will meet your requirements.

2 Likes

Looks interesting.

I think that coins are typically made on a knuckle-joint press. Obviously we don’t have that. However, I found some stuff on Etsy where they reference using a “hydraulic press”. This guy uses a two-part form to hold the stamp/die and the blank and then uses a hydraulic press.

I’m not suggesting that you buy anything from this guy, but it shows at least one approach to doing it.

The hydraulic press in Automotive is probably going to give you a stronger press.

I have used a small hydraulic press for making bas relief designs for small metals (metal smithing), but the press we used didn’t utilize a stamp like this.

We made our own ‘stamps’ by sawing out shapes out of masonite (I think it was this material).

Anyway, I wonder if this stamp could be used with a pitch pot and annealing your copper well?

If this stamp cannot be used with a pitch pot, learning how to repousee this design (or something similar) with a pitch pot, annealed copper (not too thick), tools for repousee, your hammer, could yield a really wonderful pattern and design…

You do need to keep annealing as your metal get work hardened.

1 Like

Thank you all for the information and suggestions, I’ll put a photo here once I try something that works

2 Likes

General note to everyone:

We love to see your successes we also like to see any “not so great successes” so we can learn and you can teach problems to avoid. They can greatly help your fellow Makers.

Thanks

2 Likes