Spray Painting (Outside?)

I have a project I’m working on that will require several rounds of sanding and “spray paint” (clear matte sealant). Is there a location at DMS that I can do this spray painting? Outside maybe?

For spray painting it’s outside only, in fact. Keep in mind we have neighbors and also this isn’t our building, so we need to make absolutely sure not to leave any spray marks or whatever on surrounding pavement or asphalt, and doubly ensure there is not over-spray or drift onto people’s vehicles.

A big cardboard box works best, if your piece is of such a size as a box can fit around it.

3 Likes

PLEASE use cardboard. A member didn’t and I had some clear overspray hitting my new truck. I wasn’t pleased and bitched at him for it.

I should’ve made him pay for detailing it, but did not.

5 Likes

I’m with you on the opinion but it’s going to be Internet Lawyered™ to death until the board makes a rule.

3 Likes

Bottom line, we need to start banning people that don’t understand what overspray is or how to properly put down newspaper and/or cardboard.

3 Likes

My car, when it it still looked decent, got a lot of overspray. Fortunately it was white on white so not so bad and because I left at night did’t see it.

Personally, taking it home is a pain, but I’ve done it. I don’t think any painting should be allowed - okay I’m an SOB for saying that but there is zero accountability from people, they just don’t care and clearly don’t take adequate efforts to protect things around the. If there is overspray - you failed to take adequate preparations, plan for accidents… We are already paying to have the concrete pressure washed. The over spray problem continues.

7 Likes

Happens immediately after we cleaned. They didn’t even notice

2 Likes

Then there’s the problem of where this stuff is being stored. :confused:

This is fundamental irresponsibility to the nth degree. Anybody doing this should have to pay for complete detailing of a vehicle or repaint if can’t be fixed.

Count me as member of the SOB club too. I’ll take it one further. Anybody this irresponsible, should not be a member. There has to be some standards.

2 Likes

And it is carelessness, I will spray things in my kitchen, some of which
wond t fit in a box and I manage to not spray my walls or door or floor

1 Like

I agree with this, this is one of the things where the wind or other factors can take it beyond their control. We either need a proper “spray booth” set up somewhere where people can take their projects and spray paint them, or ban it outright since we have grown so much that we can no longer trust all the members to know best.

1 Like

Just looking at this in a different way. Doesn’t this reopen the need for a paint spray booth? If there is not going to be an outright ban on any spraying… and that would include lacquers, powder coat powder and probably a few other arousal people use without thinking ,then isn’t a paint booth in order? It seems to be a real issue so as a group we should probably have a better solution then just warning of dire consequences though I understand the need to sometimes vent.

The problem is that the logistics and regulation of a paint booth are huge

RE: Paint Booth. First no space for one inside. Second there are EPA & Fire code regulations that control paint booths. One of the things we will be looking for in our next location is a paint booth being able to be installed.

1 Like

The mechanic that Sue and use told her the other day that he has to send
his paint out because he doesnt have room for a paint booth and also that he
doesnt want to deal with all the regulation on one

Just curious, would it be possible to build a portable 4’x4’ “box” with sides that we can roll outside for people to paint things in? It isn’t a paint booth, but it would contain overspray and force people to not paint the walls/ground.

When I painted the DMS Lemons car with a rattle can, I put cardboard down and asked people near to move their car so there was no chance of causing a problem. Some of the issue is carelessness, the other is a lack of appropriate place.

I would suggest we build a mobile place for people to paint in/on. Painting on the ground even with protection would be verboten without consent from a chairperson.

3 Likes

It increasingly sounds like there is the mood for a total ban on anything that involves spraying. I’m not implying that is a wrong idea, but it may be time that is formalized as a policy. I understand that a spray booth is trouble, not sure that is a good reason to abandon the idea but it kind of is the easy solution. We operate a plasma cutter, laser cutters (WAY more hazardous), Jewelry torches… As far as space, there can be healthy discussions on how we actually use the Space (almost guarantees someone will be unhappy). I have NO idea what the EPA wants and as far as fire codes… I think we can argue we do a lot of things that are controlled fire hazards at the Space. If a booth is such a bad idea… how does spraying outside satisfy the EPA or conform with fire codes? So, I’m not currently doing any painting, but if I am ever going to even think about it, I’d like to know what the official MS policy is.

We need some way, I intend to teach a class on flame coloring copper
for jewelry. If you dont use the proper sealant, it will lose its color
This is not some thing that one can buy at the home stores

I have a spray can of it, that I had to go to the Brickyard in Richardson for
and I think it was most of $20

My plan was to bring a box and then to use it at the bottom of the amp, on
the side next to the dumpster

I cant believe that I am the only person that might have a class that requires
some type of a spray sealer

AEROSAL!!! That’s AEROSAL!!

2 Likes

No matter what is contained in the can, I think that we should impose some restrictions to what’s acceptable.

I spray painted the DMS car safety orange and had no complaints. I used common sense and an over abundant amount of caution. Apparently, that standard can’t be applied, and in that case, certain restrictions should be applied. I would assume that with approval from a chairperson, all things may be acceptable.

A class that needs to clear coat something is fine as long as it’s been approved. If you have approval from the jewelry chair to spray paint whatever, you’re good to go.

My point is that as long as you reach out and get approval, you can do whatever you want. Generally, that would keep the responsibility of the person doing the action accountable.

I wouldn’t have a problem talking with a chairperson of an appropriate committee via talk, in person, etc, to make sure I was doing something in an accepted manner.

IHMO, when people spray painted their part in the back and made a mess, they probably didn’t get permission in the first place.

I know this would be an additional task a chairperson would be responsible for, however anyone in the committee should be able to provide the correct counseling prior to approval.