Spool gun for Aluminum MIG?

@Team_Metal_Shop

Hello,

Is anyone aware if the makerspace has a spool gun for Mig welding Aluminum?

Allegedly it exists, but I’ve never once even seen it myself in the 1.5 years I’ve been around.

@dallasmagna @malcolmputer or @TBJK might know more

We dont yet have possession of one. Richard Beauman (not sure of the last name spelling) was going to donate the one he bought after he finished the project he bought it for. They are not cheap. Close to 2 grand.

We had another member who was designing spool guns. He was interested in giving us one & we give him constructive criticism. This was offered in the August meeting.

1 Like

Any reason to not just use TIG?

Lack of talent on my part!

I have a heat exchanger that I am trying to weld to a cast end tank, not sure if I have the talent to do something like that as a beginner at TIG.

And I have yet to be able to find a Tig class that I can make it to to get certified.

I don’t think the spool guns are quite $2k, this one from Miller is $400:

Typically cast is unweldable, you’ll probably need to braze it, and then you’re back to TIG.

Aluminum MIG isn’t what it’s cracked up to be, I’d love for DMS to have it, but I’d assume most people would still TIG instead of the AL MIG.

1 Like

Agree with @malcolmputer, for a radiator, use Alum brazing rod. Better control and less likely to blow holes through anything. Unless it is a side support for something mounted on a dune buggy, brazing is a strong joint.

The original part was Mig welded as fast as I can tell. Cast end tanks are pretty common on automotive intercoolers.

What makes you think that? You have any photos of it?

I cant say for sure if that if that one will work with our machine. The recommendation specs have a max machine of 215.

Our machine is a 252.

This is about the spool gun that was the future donation. I said 2k because that’s what I remember the invoice saying. I could be wrong.

However a push/pull gun is better choice for mig. Here is my reasoning on it, typically if you have a smaller aluminum project, you would tig it. With a standard spool gun normally a larger project, you limit yourself with to about 2 lbs at a time. Also the gun can be cumbersome to get into some tight areas. Not to mention it can get heavy.

I will also mention I have mig welded aluminum with a standard machine. It can get rather interesting welding as the mig lead has to be relatively short and strait to be successful.

1 Like

That doesn’t look like a mig weld to me. I guess it’s possible, but that looks like walking the cup/puddle to me. TIG would be my guess.

1 Like

I think this is a tig weld and it is a large amperage machine, Al mig is crap to be good at it would be more demanding than developing your Tig skills. If asked wether the space needs one I would offer that a powered bead roller would be a lot cooler and cheeper , I think.

Funny you should say that. About a year & few months ago, I offered my Eastwood bead roller for such case. To be made into a powered bead roller. Hand cranking it is a PITA.

I think that is aluminum MIG. You don’t normally see the craters at the end of run for TIG. And the beads have more height than a good TIG weld would have. And the pattern looks much like some work I’m pretty confident was done with a Miller 212 with spool gun. I think the higher thermal conductivity of aluminum leads to a more stack of dimes look than on steel.

1 Like

The volume of weld and the crater at the end was my cue as well, but I also had this clue from a set of thinwall pipes that I received from the same company… What appears to be a piece of MIG wire on the inside of the pipe

1 Like

the Eastwood has an upgrade kit for powered operation?? I suspect that you , like me , would rather use one than build one. https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-bead-roller-drive-system.html?SRCCODE=PLA00020&msclkid=d165674268e71c3b4df63aeec9696251