Space Science Movie Nights

To expand on the astronautics classes I presented a little while back, I thought I would set aside a few evenings to show various videos (and, to put that 16 mm projector I bought to good use, films) on space science and related topics. I have scheduled the first one for Saturday the 27th at 6 PM, with the Space Shuttle Mission Reports STS 5 6 & 7 volume of the “Space Archive” LaserDisc series. If there proves to be interest, I can schedule more ; in any case, I’d appreciate feedback on scheduling, content, & such like.

1 Like

I got some feedback from @AlexRhodes which makes me think I chose the wrong title for this program.
The idea, of course, is not just to sit in a darkened room & watch videos, no matter how interesting or educational (oh, hi, exempt purpose!). A big part of the point is to generate discussion, possibly bringing up topics which would make good programs on their own in the future. So, for instance, on the 27th I expect to have to come prepared to talk about Valentina Tereshkova & the history of women in space, or about personal hygiene in weightlessness, or something like that, but for all I know, the actual conversation will turn toward something totally different.

I have scheduled a repeat of this specific item for Tuesday the 15th of March, so that those who don’t get a chance to see it this Saturday can do so then.

Just a reminder of this event. The folks who came on the Saturday seemed to appreciate the program.

I have submitted a request for the Lecture Hall for the evening of April 5th, to show “The Greatest Adventure”, narrated by Orson Welles. We can follow this with a discussion.

Space Science Movie Night this week, Tuesday at 8 PM in the Lecture Hall, will be the Apollo documentary “For All Mankind”.