Space Kart - Project Updates

Any capacity for front brakes?

Also if we want to go faster we could go with 8 6cell lipos, (2 in series, 4 pairs in parallel), would be ~48volt pack instead of current ~38volt pack. At that point would need to build something to charge everything in parallel at once

http://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/viewproduct.asp?idproduct=7300&type=&idparentcat=

1 Like

Unless we milled our own front hubs it would probably cost over 500 to buy a front brake kit, which would increase kart cost by ~30%

How about dynamic braking? I would have looked through the thread but don’t have the time at the moment.

Our current controller (Alltrax SPB 400amp) does not support regen, it does support plug braking, but our ME0708 motor doesn’t

Look into bicycle disc brakes - suspect you can find something appropriate for much less than that. Can’t speak to fitment for standard 6-bolt or centerlock rotors for your application, however.

1 Like

I’ve seen & looked into those hydraulic bike brakes, they are pretty pricey. Possibly an atv disc breaks. My kids Chinese 4 wheeler has a set, picked the master cylinder & caliper for like 37$ off eBay.

With the tilted seat it looks like your knees will be hitting the bicycle handlebars. Also how would that steering mechanism, if it’s made out of wood, not break?

Shimano sells some pretty solid entry-level MTB hydraulic disc brakes that can be had for a lot less than $500 including rotors, but I doubt you can beat $37 for an ATV pull which will likely handle the greater mass of the kart better.

SHIMANO BR-BL-M395 turnkey kits (2x ea levers, hoses, calipers, 160mm rotors) on the zon for about $95. Assumed is that the user has a means for mounting the calipers and rotors. Cable brakes are cheaper, but also more troublesome.

I wouldn’t mind machining some hubs for the kart. If we’re doing a single rear axle then you could get away with a traditional single brake caliper mounted on a machined adapter

The actual steering Rod would be made of steel and seated in bearing attached to the plywood. It is currently set for a .5in steel shaft but I need to do the math and make sure that is good enough.

The rear axle is a solid shaft and has the brake mounted to it. Based on the current Space Kart this is not great but good enough. I think that adding front breaks is not worth the difficulty to get right.

As far as ergonomics go, @themitch22 was right the original design would have been really uncomfortable for everyone.

So instead of totally eyeballing it I made Señor Herp Derp:

Here we have a @themitch22 sized Señor Herp Derp:

Here we have a me (@frank_lima) sized Señor Herp Derp:

2 Likes

Ah, but what about a true outlier such as Señor Smith standing 6’5" tall with a 36" inseam?

Señor Smith McDerp the 3rd can fit, though his legs may bit squished: (Don’t talk about his hands/wrists he is very sensitive about those)

God do I love Parametric CAD :smiley:

3 Likes

Particularly with the drop bars specially rotated down

Oh that is the special safety restraint system