Space Kart - Project Updates

So again, it should take our kart about 15-16 seconds to get to 30MPH if all of the above is correct.

My apologies. Without double checking the output figures you gave I simply assumed you meant a modern Mini.

So for today’s mini we are talking 162lbs-ft @ 1250 RPM and 2605 lbs.
So more like 16lbs per lbs-ft…

For what it’s worth, this all sounds on par with the typical 'tween / young teen go-karts of yore running the commonly available 3-5 hp B&S motors. Their torque output in lbs-ft was pretty much the same as their rated hp without some tinkering…

Don’t forget about the"ground effects"of driving a vehicle with your butt just an inch or so from the ground and in the open air. That adds roughly double the speed, halves the acceleration to speed times, and generally ups the fun factor. It’s what sells Morgans, Ariel Atoms, CampagnaT-rexes, and most motorcycles…

Sorry, I wasn’t aware there was a difference in weight. I just did a google search for small cars and came up with the numbers for the mini I referenced. Never really be a ‘car’ person.

Wasn’t aware what the torque ratings were on 3-5 hp B&S motors, but as I recall they seemed much faster then what we are talking about for this go kart (ie >45mph)

Got the motor mounted in a test box, now just need to secure the axle to something to test it out driving the axle. Here is a video of spinning it up to full speed (should be 7.5k rpm, but havent confirmed that) for a few seconds with no load

3 Likes

Brandon & Space Kart Team,

An impressive job of design / prototyping / digital manufacturing.

After I read the description a while back, I really wished I could have taken this class but I had too many Saturdays booked up in advance. It did inspire me to take a short course in Solidworks offered at Richland, but I hope Mr. Frank Lima offers this again soon.

JAG “All Physical Objects In the Universe Begin As An Idea” MAN

3 Likes

We clamped the Drivetrain onto the pallet jack to test it out, amazingly it worked

4 Likes

Ditto what Jagman says. I desperately wanted to do this, but was already overextended for this summer. Please offer this again!

Watched the power up on the bench, but I missed the test run in the parking lot. Dammit!
Looking good!
@Brandon_Green Is this with the plastic coupler?

Yeah the plastic coupler is working great, we measured 30 foot pounds at the drive axle using the digital torque gauge (through the clutch slippage), at the 4.75 to 1 reduction that means there was at least 6 foot pounds going through the coupler with no problem

1 Like

That looked dangerous as hell…hehehehe

1 Like

We ran a number of very successful tests and gained a lot good info. Had a ridiculous/insane amount of fun in the process. Improving on the fly w/what’s available. Enjoy the picts.

Taking the test jig to next level.

Resolving minor alignment issues.

Held together w/clamps.

This could get interesting…

Final adjustments and checks before the launch.

How do I ride/stay on this thing!?

Hold on…

Surfing the pallet jack kart.

More clamps to adjust/retain chain tension and a seat for the driver.

Wind in the hair…oh yaaa!

3 Likes

After spending way too much time machining on $5 wheels, we can now bolt them directly to standard american bolt pattern gokart hubs (3 holes on 2.5" diameter, but 2.56" diameter seemed to work better for the hubs we have). Of course no sane person would attempt to use non speed rated hand dolly wheels on a 30 mph gokart, but it has been done before in the power racing series, we shall see what happens…

1 Like

So here are some shots and video I took of Saturday’s testing

Youtube video

2 Likes

Them guys are some crazy pallet jack drivers!

Another you tube video

So turns out we have not gone down the cheapest path and will spend about double what we wanted to in order to afford 2 karts. I just put together the bill of materials so far, and we probably have another hundred to go at least for the chassis materials. A lot of the mechanical parts could have been sourced cheaper, but I went with what was the quickest and easiest to find (defaulting to amazon). But in the end we will have a unique completely custom built wooden brushless electric kart.

So far we have spent $1,148.72, not including shipping / tax, charger, powersupply, discharge box, (The ESC was donated, so we have actually spent 200 less than that, thanks @David_Walker !)

~700 for motor, batteries, controller, wire, switches
~400 for mechanical parts (shafts, wheels, sprockets, bearings, hubs, spindle)

2 Likes

Brandon,

If you only spent double was was planned for a kick ass result as seen in the videos, I am still impressed all to hell by the efforts of everyone involved.

Great documentation of the process, BTW. This is newsworthy and original material. Now if you can “bulletproof” it for Burning Man and add a flamethrower, you are galactically good to go.

Which gives me an idea for a new topic… but let me think about it first.

JAG “Kermit The Frog Reporting Live From DMS” MAN

2 Likes

It’s an electric kart - tesla coil or something thematically appropriate…

I just Googled ‘Space Kart’ to see what came up, and this image was the 1st on the list…

http://davidszondy.com/future/space/go_kart01.jpg

I started working on the next test mule, In addition to having 4 actual wheels, we will be evaluating just how strong are wood screws? Here it is about half done

There are just 3 screws holding the front spindle on to some sandwhiched 2x4s (which are each just screwed into each other), it at least didn’t immediately splinter when I stood on it

3 Likes

Pretty sure you’re now qualified for frame production on Morgan Motorcars…

Is the front fork getting flipped, so you can drop the handlebars nice’n’low for a low CG of rider?

1 Like