Southern Yellow Pine - Handheld power tools

Hey Everyone,

So I know using SYP is a big no-no in the woodshop on the large machinery. I definitely don’t want to be tackled so I’m asking here from the safety of my home. (JK of course)

Can we use the Festool Domino joiner on SYP or is it not permitted?

Thank you all!

Nope :slight_smile:

Only the green Ryobi stuff. Nothing from inside of the woodshop.

As I said before, I work with the horrible and hated dimensional lumber, specifically SPF, but that aside I have decided that if I ever decide to use Southern yellow pine, I will bring my own equipment to use on it.

That said, the difference in price between Southern yellow pine and SPF is so negligible that it’s really not worth going out and buying the different pieces of equipment that would be needed just to use Southern yellow pine.

All of that said, when you’re shopping at home Depot or any of the big box stores for pine, look for anything that says SPF and you’re fine.
If it says syp or if it says TP, it can’t be used in the woodshop and to be honest you really don’t want to use it because where as SPF is okay for some of the stuff that I build (industrial style furniture, workbenches, picnic tables, outdoor benches, etc) you definitely don’t want to use Southern yellow pine or treated lumber for any of those things.

The 20 cents to $4 of linear length of board is really not worth it.

Just remember, most of your SPF is going to top out around a 2x6, most of everything I’ve seen in the big box stores that is 2x8 and above is all syp.

I’ve seen SYP labeled as “SPIB” and “Reliabilt” at the big boxes.

I was in Lowes a few weeks ago and the only SYP they had was 2x12’s. All the 2x4’s were douglas fir and hemlock.

This is posted in the Woodshop for reference: