Sourcing Aluminum Honeycomb for Laser Bed

The honeycomb bed on the large Thunder laser is getting pretty rough. It’s no longer flat, and jagged in many places.

I got a quote from Thunder Laser. It’s $204 plus $250 for DHL shipping = $454. That’s only a good number for car engines.

Does anyone have an option for another source for an aluminum honeycomb bed? With the hard usage our machines receive, we will likely need another in the future for the other machines.

Thank you! john

@Team_Laser

1 Like

Let me see if I can find some of the the aerospace supplier that use to be in North Texas. One is in Arlington neat where Six Flags Mall used to be. What size hex, width across flats and depth?

3 Likes

Found it! Texas Almet on Randol Mill road. You may be able to buy some drop off that will work.

http://www.texasalmet.com/about.php

3 Likes

thanks David!

I’ll get measurements in the day walker time. Size of Hex isn’t too important, but the others are.

1 Like

should be able to find something local for under $300, let me know if you need any help :slight_smile: #RedChairs

2 Likes

The experience and knowledge pool at DMS is staggering. At 3:05AM on a Monday morning @talkers says we need an aluminum honeycomb bed for a laser. Within 25 minutes two members say we can buy this specialized material, build it ourselves and save money. Where else would we see anything like this?

13 Likes

I completely agree. I also question the sleeping habits of these fine individuals.

10 Likes

I considered mentioning sleep patterns. During that exact time period I was tossing and trying to get back to sleep but could not get my mind off of a new class that I am developing.

3 Likes

I will be interested in it!

1 Like

If it’s not better than the replacement from manufacturer then please don’t substitute. Some new rules might help whatever replacement last longer. On more than one occasion I had to ask a member not to bolt things to the table.

1 Like

How is the underside to the bed? Could we flip it over?

2 Likes

Here is the seller I have used in the past. Without the specs though I couldn’t tell you if they’re cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/honeycommcore?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

We can go OEM. No worries, moneywise.

We’ve done that. Both sides worse for wear.

5 Likes

It might wise to go ahead and check pricing for the newer ones. Shipping might be the same if you get 1, 2 or 3.

4 Likes

How much is the shipping if you buy two?

(That’s a serious question. It might not be much more).

2 Likes

Does the new US distributor sell them cheaper? He’s close…near Tyler or Athens, I think.

In my experience ordering things from Thunder, the shipping cost is pretty much a flat rate to get it here from China whether you buy one or four of something, so it’d be worth considering buying a couple.

3 Likes

Uhmm… His name is Clay, lol. He has been unresponsive to Stephenie’s inquiries. I did mention this to Yumiko at Thunder China. She is going to check with him.

@John_Marlow That’s brilliant.

Duly noted. @lukeiamyourfather

1 Like

Where would we store spares?

underneath the Thunder. there is room above the Acrylic Bender.