Sourcing 1/4" acrylic

If you don’t mind mailorder or a drive to Royse City we have had good luck with

https://www.estreetplastics.com/

The will sell small pieces too.

Zach,

I’ll see what my vendor charges tomorrow - just 48x96 ? or do you want something larger?

Sorry - don’t know - but Allied will gladly sell you a smaller piece as long as it’s one of their common colors; clear and probably smoke grey and possibly some others - but not all the “exotic” colors.

If 3/16" clear would work, I have a few fairly large pieces at my work - approx 36" x 48"

1 Like

I appreciate all the replies! I have several projects, many not more than 6"x6", and 1/4" to 3/16" work.

If a full sheet were $30, I’d do that. Given that it is in the $100+ range, I’ll just buy the scraps I need and go with that.

Allied has gotten cranky, they don’t want to talk to you unless you want full sheets. Also half of their sales staff won’t return calls even if you want a full sheet.

I just called Allied

1/4 48x96 clear is $129 or 48x48 $65
3/1648x96 clear is $119 or 48x48 $60

Plenty in stock

Note FWIW - plastic prices in general will be going up by 27% across the board due to a resin shortage - according to their (my) salesman.

Zach, I’ll trade you a piece of 3/16" clear approx 38x50 for occasional plasma refresher help…

1 Like

Sounds good, Tom. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve got my truck’s rear diff apart & axles out for new seals and bearings so if you are in a hurry - you can pick it up at my work…

Not in a hurry at all. Thanks!

Tom,

If you have a couple of strips of the acrylic I’d like to pick up a couple from you. Any thickness would probably work as we’re making an angle marking template. Could I come by your place and pick up a piece or two?

You are always welcome at my store or I can bring them to the space tonight

How long and how wide?

1 Like

I"m looking for a couple of pieces 2.5" wide by 36" long or so. Are you
going to the space today (Friday 2/16)?

Friday, I won’t be there. We are having a gallery event sat night

i have some 3/16" clear that I cut into a wide enough piece for you to cut to your desired finished sizes.

1 Like

Thank you Tom, What time will you be in your office/store tomorrow (Saturday)? I may pop up for a few minutes.

at least from 1000 to 2100 hours maybe longer

Thank you so much for your gift of the acrylic. I appreciate it. I wish you the best on your gallery showing tonight. I hope it turns out much better than you expect.

2 Likes

Interesting. Acme Plastics, a large distributor, says the opposite.

Extruded acrylic costs less than cast and is more dimensionally stable, meaning the thickness is more consistent across sheets. Softer, with a lower melting temperature than in its cast form, extruded acrylic is easier to laser cut, rout, and polishes more cost-effectively … Extruded acrylic is less susceptible to dirt, lint, or particulate contamination in the production process. Additionally, because of its lower melting point, it is better suited to cementing and thermoforming.

2 Likes

Cast acrylic is very popular for trophies and awards.

Rastering leaves a frosted image behind. looks good, even better with LED edge lighting.

Rastering on extruded acrylic doesn’t work. The image melts back into the acrylic.

good info!

3 Likes