Sourcing 1/4" acrylic

Hi, folks. I’m working on a new project to build a Dance Dance Revolution pad. Are there any local businesses that might have 1/4" acrylic in stock? I looked up some of the businesses listed on the wiki, but they don’t seem to list simple stock in small quantities. Normally, I’d go with mail order from Delvie’s, but I was hoping to at least get some fabrication done on Saturday.

Have you tried Allied Plastic Supply yet?

I’m sure they’d have it and cut it to size for you.

10828 Shady Trl
<%22mapitem: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>

Dallas, TX 75220-1306
<%22mapitem: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>

United States

(call or visit them – their web page can be incomplete)

I’ve had good luck with Allied Plastics too. They were able to source some specific sized polycarbonate tubing for me a few years ago. Seems like I bought some acrylic for laser cutting there too. Tell them you plan to laser cut it - there are at least two kinds of acrylic ( cast and something else ) and one cuts better. They know which is which. :slight_smile:

Allied is good, and they are centrally located. Regal Plastic has better stock in my opinion, buy are further out and not sure if they are open on Saturday. Acrylic comes in cast and extruded. The cast sheet cuts better, or so they say. It’s a bit more expensive but is very nice stuff.

How are you doing your Dance Dance board? My son and I made one for Makey Makey a couple of years ago for a school project. It was pretty primitive…but worked okay, no lights or bells or whistles.

@Captchemo I’m still working out the CAD for it, but I’m trying to follow the real thing as close as I can. Unfortunately, there’s not a whole lot of documentation that I can find on the real machines, but I found this video that has lots of close-ups of the inside of a real DDR machine arrow panel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi9wGy0s49U

I’ll probably be substituting wood for metal in a lot of places, mostly because my metal fabrication skills are a bit lacking and I’m not keen on spending too much money on this.

I called up Allied, and they unfortunately close at noon on Saturdays, so no plastic for me today. Oh well.

I asked for a quote for 12" x 12" panels of 1/4", and they came back with $5.50 each. Not bad, especially since I don’t have to pay for shipping, either. He said that price was for 1/8" undersize, which is fine since I’m laser cutting it. He also said it was cell cast. I’ll probably pick them up next Saturday.

I went over to Allied one day and bent their ear for a while and they were very friendly and informative.

Some things I learned about their operation:

The price of plastics fluctuate with oil prices, so whatever they quote you today, don’t hold them to it in the future.

The best price they will quote you is for a full 4x8 sheet. If you ask for less than that, they price it high to cover the cost of the sheet so that any part of the leftover sheet they sell is pure profit. So, if you can merge your buys with others to get a full sheet you may end up with a better price.

If you buy a full sheet, they will cut it for you so that you can transport it.

They carry the standard vinyl colors. If you want odd colors or styles, there is a sign place up the road that carries all the odd stuff. Sorry, but I can’t remember the name of the sign place, but if you are at Allied and they don’t have the vinyl you are looking for, ask them for the sign place information.

Cool, that’s good to know. I guess if anyone else wants some 1/4" clear acrylic, I’d be happy to tack it on and split the cost. I’d be buying it next Saturday (2/28), so you have a week to decide. Out of a full 4x8 sheet, I only need less than half (10 square feet), so there’s at least 4x4 contiguous sheet left over.

Does the Allied Plastic Office by the 'Space have inventory? Or do you have to go down into Dallas?

Just bumping this to the top. Also interested in the answer.

1 Like

Yes they have a considerable inventory - the place is huge (it is one of my vendors and my sales rep gave me a tour)

Address: 10828 Shady Trail, Dallas, TX 75220
Phone:(214) 350-3990

I think the question is whether the “headquarters” in Carrollton has any inventory so one doesn’t have to drive down to Shady Trail.

I don’t think of Shady Trail as “downtown” sorry

Shady trail is not that far from the Space

What size are you looking for?

I just meant in general.

@Clayton, I think he means you.

Quarter sheets to start with. Then likely half sheets.

I’ll have a look in my shop - I know there is some but I’ll have to see if it is 1/4" or 3/16" and get the size

Anyone know what a 4x8 sheet costs these days?

If I recall correctly Allied Plastic Supply sold me a full sheet of clear 1/4 inch cast acrylic for around $120 earlier this year.

Home Depot carries smaller sheets of clear acryllic and polycarbonate in various thicknesses at decent prices.

Just a heads up they are extruded acrylic rather than cast acrylic. They will raster poorly on the laser.