Sources for old laptop batteries?

I’m working on harvesting 18650 cells from old laptop and power tool battery packs. I need at least 260, as I plan on making a 2kWh battery pack. Does anyone know where I can get old laptop or power tool batteries for free/cheap? Even the dead ones yield a surprising number of good cells.

1 Like

Are you married to 18650 cells? What voltage are you looking for? @JayJohnson600 found Chevy Volt cells on ebay that can be configured for 12/24/48 volt.

Below is a link to a 2KWh raw pack section for ~$400. http://www.ebay.com/itm/222249648672

1 Like

I’m looking for at least 12V output, I plan on using the pack to run my ARB Fridge/Freeze for a week during Wasteland Weekend.

I have a handful of 18650 cells already, and I’m trying to do this as cheap as possible. Though that Chevy Volt cell is interesting.

I knew I should have picked up more of the batteries I donated to Jay and Stan for their “RV” projects

Not just a week but you’re playing the long game!

we have a shit load of 18650 cells layng around my office…let me ask if they can be unloded

1 Like

so…IDK how quick they self discharge is there an age limit where you dont want to mess with them?

I agree solar is a great way to go. I have a buddy who uses a 75w panel on top of his jeep to charge a car battery for his Engel fridge/freezer.

I ran a 100W renology panel with a Sunkeeper 12 amp charge controller to keep a battery on a travel trailer topped off in Yellowstone last year and can’t promote solar enough for off the grid.

https://www.amazon.com/Morningstar-SK-12-SunKeeper-Charge-Controller/dp/B007NYZ5VU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487824848&sr=8-1&keywords=sunkeeper+12

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-Volts-Monocrystalline-Solar/dp/B009Z6CW7O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487824942&sr=8-4&keywords=100w+solar+panel

Literally any 18650 regardless of age will be fine. The project I have in mind is low draw and longevity isn’t super critical either. I’ve got a tester that should arrive soon, so I’ll be able to weed out the really bad ones easily.

Depending on the chemistry, most Lithium type cells have little to no self discharge. Age is less important than cycles to determine the “life” left in Lithium cells.

1 Like

I wonder how receptive Dallas County would be to giving over packs turned in at the hazardous chemical collection site on Plano Road? edit: for that matter, Home Depots and other stores that have battery recycling bins might be willing to let you dig…

I have a box of 28 Tenergy 2.6AH cells. They are about 8 years old but never been used. there used to be a box of ultralife packs but I havent found it

When do you want to meet up at the space?

3 Likes

Awesome! I’m free tonight, tomorrow and the weekend (as least according to my calendar anyway :laughing:). Whatever works best for you.

Curious what sort of design you’re using for this - been interested in implementing something similar myself.

Cursory research reveals that decent Panasonic 18650s can be had in hobbyist quantities for as low as $0.44 per watt-hour. Suddenly my notion of building a giant DIY power bank just got a lot more expensive.

Yeah, I estimated it would cost at least $1k to buy the cells.

I think you’d be better off buying some large sealed lead acid batteries that were pulls from a telco environment. Much cheaper and easier to work with. Less chance of a self sustaining chemical fire, too.

Oh, and a big solar panel. :slight_smile:

The weight/size of SLA batteries is an issue. I plan on driving at least 6k miles this year for road trips.

Sorry I had every intention of getting over there this weekend. Any evenings you plan to be at the makerspace this week? Do you have a storage box I can leave them in?

I don’t have a storage box. I only live 15 minutes away, just let me know when and I can swing by.