Source for a 700R4 Transmission

Hi all,

My 90 suburban needs a transmission. it’s a 700R4 or 4L60 non E. Any source for a good transmission. I replaced it 8 years ago, didn’t get 100K miles out of it. Maybe 60k.

Found someone on CL for $450 for a rebuilt. Any other sources?

Thanks

1 Like

I would advise against the Craigslist 450$ rebuild. Otherwise you maybe looking for another transmission in 1000 miles or less.

1 Like

Thanks.

Any advice where to get a transmission?

Here is the ad I was looking at
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/d/chevrolet-4-wheel-drive-700r4/6562647395.html

1 Like

Contact Plano Transmission if you intend on having someone do it. If you are going to do it you can order one from Transtar. They are not cheap but have a great warranty from the factory and you can buy up to 150,000 miles and 3 years or 5 years worth of warranty for a couple hundred extra. It cost around 1600 for the last Suburban I did. I think public can order from Transtar but if not I have an account.

Yes, you can just go to Transtar without an account.

1 Like

Yeah. I paid 1400 for the whole truck. 1600 for just the transmission kinda hurts. :wink:

1 Like

But the truck with new parts will out last you. I have an 88 suburban but have owned the square bodies over the last 12 years. You cannot beat them and they are worth the money.

Yeah. I’m with you that’s why I’m trying to fix it. If I had the money, it wouldn’t be a discussion. That’s why I’m trying to find a lower cost alternative…

Any advice for under 1K?

1 Like

Checked any salvage yards?

I guess I’ll just ask the question burning its way through my mind since moment 1:
why not rebuild the one you have?
or, if you have it, the one you took out to put this one in?

2 Likes

The only kind of luck I’ve had with salvage yard transmissions is the bad kind.

Great questions.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the knowledge, tools or time.

1 Like

When I looked at a salvage yard transmission for my Excursion they wanted 2k. But they would rebuild it before they sold it to me.

Any thoughts on manualizing a 4L60E?

http://www.transmissionbench.com/shifter.html

I would either get the book and rebuild on your own as a long project or pony up for the better transmission. Sadly with the current market you get what you pay for and unless you find a retiree doing it for fun(torture) or out of boredom you won’t find a good build under 1k. Check Summit racing they get a little lower on cost for some and they have a location local that you could pick up from. Wouldn’t be under 1k but it would be closer to it.

1 Like

If I had more free time, I’d probably be willing to give a no-warranty rebuild a shot with supplied parts for the low cost of any special tools needed and a 6-pack of shiners, over the course of a month of sundays.

It’s not a particularly difficult job rebuilding a 3+O automatic, it’s just time-consuming and requires a lot of cleanliness.

I’m OUT! :wink:

what about
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/moveras-700r4-transmission-m00530/10004322-P

I’ll ask my friend Dave - he has an account that does nothing but automatic transmissions …

700R4 are pretty damn easy, in my opinion. But as others said, it has to be clean clean. That’s why I do mine on the kitchen table.