Something never seen on the Events Calendar - Live Now

Your right, its not RSS and there’s no aggregation of events since that’s just a vCalendar event. Not all of us live inside our outlook / email clients. But those that do I’m sure a vcalendar event is fine for them.

Sheesh… could that line be any longer? Don’t get me wrong, 80 column code is the thing of the past sure but at lease lets have it read able within 120 columns?

@Draco @LukeStrickland Guys, make sure your pulling down upstream changes as well when submitting changes. I’m seeing errors reported in travis-ci that’s I’ve already corrected.

When submitting what?

just say as a general reminder to all of us to do a git pull before git push

There are 0 merge commits on master, and all work has been done through pull requests, so there’s no way for any of your code to have been overwritten. I’m confused.

Its not that code is being overwritten, its that I’m getting bugs I’ve fixed being reported:

https://travis-ci.org/Dallas-Makerspace/calendar/builds/376472974#L686 @LukeStrickland
https://travis-ci.org/Dallas-Makerspace/calendar/builds/378039782#L692 @draco

My change and build log

https://travis-ci.org/Dallas-Makerspace/calendar/builds/376387307

Correction:

• looks like there was another error… #><

Sorry guys, in fair warning I know you guys are doing your best and I greatly appreciate it. I’m going to be a bit testy as we clean house just because the size of it all. Once we get about 85-90% of these errors gone I’ll be a lot less of a grump.

I’m still confused, you committed a fix, no one overwrote that commit, and the code still does not pass the test? Doesn’t that sound like something is wrong with either the test or Travis isn’t pulling in the new code?

let me look further into this since the changes are there in master from 10 days ago.

wait!!!

Found it:

Upstream:

The RSS and ATOM feeds are live!

Check them out

Sorry @Draco I reverted for tonight, major issue with the new calendar not showing future events. I’ll investigate tomorrow night

No worries … I’m also looking through the code tonight …

Let me know what you find, very confused!

I’m thinking it may have to do with a version of some of the composer packages. Maybe CRUD?

The events controller for the index page has this in it …

$this->paginate['limit'] = 2147483647;

I’m going to check if different versions accept different numbers … or revert to a default

Can anyone give me an eli5 version of RSS feeds, or possibly link me to an up to date youtube video?

I was using RSS feeds back when iGoogle was a thing, and haven’t used them since.

1 Like

Think of a blog with blog posts.
An RSS feed will give you a list of all of the titles, dates, summaries and a link to the blog post
but it will not give you the actual article… just a link to it.

This way another program called a feed reader or feed client can goto the feed URL for you every now and then and see what has been added. Then it can alert you or make it display a nice list or search for things.

An RSS feed enables this.
It really is just a special website URL that you give to your feed reader and it handles the rest.

The benefit for us is that you can now get email alerts for events you want
There are many RSS clients on the web. Here is one

So, once we get all this working right. You can goto the events page and choose a topic through the drop down categories or tools and then copy the RSS link provided into something like zapier and it will email you whenever a new event first appears on our list for that category or tool.

I might make an instructional video for it … at some point

1 Like

I saw that while looking at the code from the link Luke provided in the other thread. My thoughts:

1. I do not know enough to work in this code yet

2. Why is somebody’s phone number hardcoded in here?

3. Oh, that is decimal for 7FFFFFFF hex.

1 Like

Looks like MAX_INT :slight_smile:

1 Like