Something never seen on the Events Calendar - Live Now

No, not a class or event… Just a hint of things to come …

rsshint

I need people willing to help test it

15 Likes

How do I volunteer to test?

2 Likes

I will hopefully be getting a testing version up soon. Thanks for volunteering!

The code is out on GitHub The branch is rss-feed

I just added the ability to create your own feed depending on what selections you make.
So, you can create a feed for only 3D printing classes for example.

2 Likes

I’ll volunteer to test as well.

2 Likes

Same here, would like to try this out. EDIT: Are you asking for us to run local versions or ?

1 Like

Still waiting for details on how to test. FYI, a good start would be to make sure that the RSS feed is valid.

https://validator.w3.org/feed/

2 Likes

I’m waiting on others currently to help set things up.

2 Likes

Update:

Well … I don’t think I’m going to be able to get data for it. I was really hoping to have live data to test with. To have it be a real feed. People are dragging their feet it seems.

I have the software setup on an outside website but with no calendar data in it so it is not much use.

1 Like

Can we just deploy it now :slight_smile:

1 Like

At this point … I don’t care anymore … you seem to not care if it is tested … if you don’t care … I don’t either

2 Likes

My problem is I have maybe two hours a week of DMS development time, and DMS has all of three active, willing developers that want to work on DMS projects. Let’s just keep moving, keep going. Forget archaic processes and docker test environments, do it live!

Lets do this:

1. Create a pull request
  2. I will load it locally and test it for glaring issues / errors
  3. I will review the code in its entirety
  4. Push to production
  5. Community reviews for any additional errors

That way we keep moving, software keeps happening, and we don’t have to wait for new processes and tasks to happen.

3 Likes

And we end up with bad bugs later that don’t get found until the accounting is way off or something just as bad…
There is a reason for testing things and going through some sort of procedure for getting a patch into production. If someone doesn’t look through the code and do some testing we will have alot of broken code in our production websites. If not not, later. I understand the drive to keep things moving. I would very much to keep things moving but I think safety and sanity is an issue here. There needs to be a place to try out and display for others potential ideas and refine them in a similar environment to production. This way people can give feedback before they are forced to use it.

1 Like

This feature covers a read-only RSS feed…

1 Like

This feature branch also includes other patches.

1 Like

As I have said repeatedly… I know what is in master is not what is on production because I fixed some bugs that would keep it from running properly. You have voiced concerns that there might be other places that creds that are in the code. We don’t know if this will work with production data because we don’t know what is on production.

1 Like

But if you want to push the changes … do what you think is best.
I’m standing back from it for now until we have some way of testing.

I proposed a shared hosting solution a while back… easy to implement

However, the RSS feed is a special case that this wouldn’t work because many of the consumers are services on the internet.

2 Likes

Alright, so you work with @denzuko directly to get a great testing infrastructure online. The second y’all have it ready and I will switch right over to whatever quality checks y’all want.

I’m not going to touch your branch, you’ll have to submit a pull request if you would like it merged. If you would like to wait until you guys have what you want setup, that’s fine.

2 Likes

testing infrastructure online

So to be clear we already have testing infrastructure along with deployment pipelines. The testing suite is phpunit (comes backed in with the frameworks we’re using.) the Continuous testing environment is Travis-ci and automated security scanning is done with snyk.io.

Continuous deployment is baked into the community grid platform and deploys images the Dallas Makerspace Docker hub

As for selenium testing that’s something we may look into later.

We’re literally at the point of going over the build log and fixing those bugs reported. From what I’m seeing about 90% of it is just stupid formatting / convention bugs that slipped in from key board cowboying features. Another 5% is just code quality stuff like documentation. The rest are code coverage and things like:

FILE: ...is/build/Dallas-Makerspace/calendar/src/Model/Table/RegistrationsTable.php
 160 | ERROR | [x] Expected "int" but found "integer" for parameter type
 162 | ERROR | [ ] Expected "bool" but found "boolean" for function return type
1 Like

How does this help us with testing the RSS feature?

1 Like

How can we verify what is on production is what is in master?

1 Like