Something is wrong with my brake rotors

I was swapping out my brakes because they had started making a funny sound, but when I took off the wheel on the passenger side…

Well just look at what I found

2 Likes

That’s just more cooling surfaces

3 Likes

Looks like you might have had a slide pin problem.

2 Likes

Ummm cooling? I think you mean faster warmup to track temp :grin: A little friction never hurt nobody.

That looks like the interior of the rotor which is meant for cooling. If that’s the case then you’ve worn completely through the friction surface. Can you take photo from the side?

I think your right - what the heck did the pads look like? Is the piston worn also.

OOOOO. The UltraRare™ external cooling vaned solid disk…

I have only ever spotted two, maybe three of those in the wild.
Let’s have a closer look…

1 Like

there was no sound. The first indication that I had something was wrong, was that the car was having trouble stopping, and the brake light came on

Turn the radio down.

6 Likes

reddit.com/r/justrolledintotheshop

1 Like

Here is a photo of it from the side, along with the front pad

1 Like

I can’t believe what’s left of your pad didn’t seize to the rotor.

2 Likes

Truly amazing! You have to mount that in a frame, agree with Tim, can’t believe they didn’t grab, also can’t believe the pad didn’t completely erode away.

I usually replace the rotors when I do brakes - so what the hell, get every bit of wear out you can!

3 Likes

Based on what’s left of the veins, the rotor was about to separate entirely from the hub which would result in zero braking force for that wheel. I’m glad you caught it before someone got hurt. This is why manufacturers have maintenance like “inspect whatever” at regular intervals.

1 Like

Everyone just ran out to check their own rotors

4 Likes

Not me, I did mine a few months ago.

2 Likes

You guys are making me want to go outside and check my rotors.

1 Like

You should. Lol

2 Likes

Can someone point out what I’m looking at? I’m trying to learn about this stuff, but have no clue what it is I’m seeing. What does a normal one look like vs the picture he posted?

1 Like

Should have meaty solid on BOTH sides of the vanes.
Here’s a diagram-y pic

lifted from here
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Thickness-of-the-ventilated-brake-disc-and-solid-brake-discs-for-the-parametric-FE-study_fig10_318024455
See how it depicts solid bits on BOTH sides of the “internal” vanes on the “Ventilated disc”?
That’s what’s wrong with his, and the fact that it wore out one side SUBSTANTIALLY, means something is probably wrong other than “normal wear”…

4 Likes