Some willing to help "FLATTEN" a board on the MULTICAM

Hey All,
I am making an Endgrain cutting board. final glue up is tomorrow with it being dry Wednesday.

I am not currently certified to use the multi cam, i don’t want to have to pass it through the drum sander 100 times.

Was hoping someon can use the multicam to flatten the board like using a router sled. I cannot send it through the planer as its Endgrain.

its about 18"by20"by 1-1/4". one side will be mostly flat, just need to have the router pass back and forth over the board until no high/slow spots remain.

I think it would take longer to create the tool paths than it would to build a router sled. You could cobble something together with a couple pieces of wood and then sand it normally.

1 Like

This is a canned cycle, built into the multi cam… It will only be as flat as the table is though.

2 Likes

Curious…~4 passes on drum sander, or <5 minutes, with the 100 grit paper that is typically on it will take off about ~1/16" or more of thickness. Is the cutting board truly more out of whack than that?

Of course, getting the drum sander to work for you in the first place may take significantly longer…

1 Like

Valid points all. I’ll know more once I get it glued up.

You’ll get a far better result on the sander. You can expect significant tear-out trying to flatten end-grain on the multicam. You won’t like the result.

4 Likes

ok i ran a test piece through the sander today, it works better than i thought. thanks for pointing me in the right direction

5 Likes

Drum Sander is my favorite shop toy…after the MultiCam.