Some help with Lasersaur?

I’d like to set up an appointment this weekend, with someone who can walk me through the process of using the Lasersaur, 1on1.

I can never seem to find anyone in the space who knows how to use the thing.

I will be up there on Saturday mid-day to laser cut some RC airplane parts on the Lasersaur. I’m not an approved trainer for the machine, but I’d be happy to give you a crash course. I’m not sure if you’d still need to attend an official training class to technically be allowed to use it though. Perhaps @lukeiamyourfather can answer that.

Have you been trained on the Full Spectrum laser cutter? All of the same principles, safety rules, and material restrictions apply to the Lasersaur.

2 Likes

@Worrierking, if you have taken a laser training class in the past and know how to use the laser cutter and the dangers involved then consider yourself “certified” on the Lasersaur if you spend time with @hasbridge on Saturday. If you haven’t taken a laser cutter training class in the past please start with that. There’s a laser cutter training on October 10th that will cover both machines (see the event calendar).

2 Likes

Thanks, yes, I have trained on, and used, the FS cutter before. I just need to know how to use the Lasersaur software.

@Worrierking, I am here working in the Aerospace area, and I’ll be moving over to the lasersaur shortly.

And yet the software and process is completely different :smile:

The lasersaur is really nice. Thanks to all who put time in to build it!

The main difference between the two is one uses a print driver that then loads and you setup your feed rate, power setting and sequences, the other is a web page you upload your file to and setup the same thing there.

BTW, for the web page, it would be neat if it could tell you how long the cut took so you can tally up your time :slight_smile: Are we using vanilla LasaurApp or did we customize it?

The software hasn’t been customized. There’s a pull request for job runtime.

I’m curious to try some of the other pull requests like raster support.

You can roughly estimate cut time by looking at the cut length. It shows that when you upload your SVG file. For example, if a job is 15 meters, and you’re cutting at 1500 mm/min (default), then it’s going to take roughly 10 minutes.