Some great donations for the PIG sig

We already have a shapeoko dedicated to wood. THis would be for plastics.

2 Likes

what Lara said. it is for plastics and composite materials.

I don’t know anything about machining composite materials. Does machining carbon fiber composites generate hazardous particulates? If so, do we need to rig a dust collection enclosure and vacuum?

@richmeyer donated a dust collection system for the SIG.

2 Likes

Yes we’ll get more dust collectors as needed

Thanks, for thinking of this often forgotten piece of DMS infrastructure.

The members of this SIG will be known as PIGS and “oink” will be their rallying word.

2 Likes

When I used to route fiberglass for PCBs, we had an enclosure and a HEPA vacuum to contain the dust. I believe machining composites dry can be hazardous. We also had a group once cut some pieces of a carbon fiber layup and the dust settled all around that area of the shop and resulted in a pretty nasty itch if it go to on you.

Those are probably two extreme examples but I think the composites shapeoko it certainly warrants better dust collection than our other tools.

1 Like

The new Shapeoko will need an enclosure before we place it into service.

3 Likes

I will not be oinking.

1 Like

I already oink on occasion!

1 Like

I consume a conspicuous amount of pork on a weekly basis, in the form of bacon, and loin chops.
I promise not to attempt to consume any of the PIG SIG

I might not be able do a credible “oink”, but as the Machine shop member that does the most machining of plastic; I expect to be a notable PIG, if a mute PIG.

that would be a dingo PIG

The Shapeoko 2 is not dedicated to wood, it’s used for anything except carbon fiber, toxic materials (e.g. treated wood) and anything involving liquids :wink: We touch on the use of plastics for a couple minutes in the tool basics class. If y’all need some help with the new Shapeoko 3 or classes let me know.

If you’re thinking of toxic materials and carbon fiber I’d think you’d need a much higher quality enclosure than what we have with the current Shapeoko 2. Added benefit: Noise dampener, a palm router will be loud.

Here’s one of the better builds I’ve run across: https://www.simplecove.com/695/shapeoko-xxl-cnc-enclosure-and-cabinet/

2 Likes

I like the design other than the massive storage underneath. In a single user environment sure, but for our space, take the toolbox clutter and multiply by 10.

1 Like

Make the under cabinet locked storage for committee maintenance supplies, spare tooling, supplies, etc.

We could also shorten the cabinet by taking out some height by eliminating one or two drawers from the stack of four if so desired.

1 Like

I think it would only be fitting to make it out of acrylic, aluminum & maybe throw some steel in it.

1 Like

I definitely want to help making this enclosure. I’m motivated to help as I love to build things like this that serve a long lasting purpose. And I want to learn the new larger Shapeoko as well as I’m considering buying one for home as well. I’m going to the space shortly. If anyone is going to be around, lets talk.

Tim, love the idea for multi materials. Is there a firm direction yet on the general design such as the one from above? Design by committee may not be that beneficial as it could drag on for a very long time. Just my 3 cents.

thank you. there is no power yet, so it may be late June or July before even start trying to get set up.

Building the enclosure doesn’t have to wait though does it? It makes me nervous every time I look at the shapeoko sitting on the floor. It really should be sitting flat on something so the bed doesn’t warp. Is there any reason we can’t get moving on the enclosure?