Solved! rcbs press not accepting shell holders

@Gimli @Axel_Ohmstede @thatguy @TBJK

Hey guys,

I was trying to use the rcbs pres today and it wouldn’t easily accept any of our shell helpers. I disassembled the poison from the press to try and fix it, but wasn’t able to solve the problem.

Here are some more pics.

Maybe some one from machine shop could help us repair the piston. @nicksilva?

The press disassembled with shell plates like the first picture. Any help would be appreciated.

does that piston accept threaded inserts?

Not on the rockchucker ram.

We can at the worst case make a custom cutter for it.

1 Like

Make sure it is clean and there aren’t any burrs.

I cleaned it in the parts washer and pulled it after. There might be a burr on the right side, but I couldn’t find any small files to try and clean it up.

just let us know what help you need. I’m sure we can cut a bit here or a bit there to make it work.

1 Like

Your awesome Nick,
Russell caught up with me at the space and we spotted a small burr. Does machine shop have any tiny files? I looked and didn’t see any in the tool boxes.

There may be some files in the tool box next to the welders, but I’m not sure on the size.

Sometimes you don’t even need a file to take a bur off.

How small do you need? It’s possible that Jewelry might have some small needle files.

Great idea.
Do you know where they store them? We need a nice very small file like a Swiss pillar file. Top one in the picture.

@nausser915 - Joseph - can you make a suggestion?

1 Like

We are fixed!

@Team_Jewelry let me use their dremel and I got the head back into tolerance. Now only the number 4 plate has issue.

4 Likes

GREAT!

A concern I have - last 2 weeks I’ve been in Hatchers twice to make use of the hand primer and the press was in a different place each time. That seems like a lot of movement for the press.

Have to wonder how a burr in the shell-holder happened - seems an odd place for a burr to happen. It’s why I asked about that ram being threaded.

food for thought…

1 Like