Solidworks Licenses

Hi Makers,

The version of SolidWorks I bummed from the EAA is the 3DEXPERIENCE version, which lacks add-in functionality – fluid dynamics, stress analysis. I’m assuming that the DMS version is the ungutted version, since you mentioned having working add-ins. Have y’all been using the FEA, CFD, or CAM add-ins in the '21 version?

Anyway, I’m proficient in SolidWorks, and I’m comfortable providing instruction for basic CAD concepts. Hope to see you around IRL!

-AA

2 Likes

DMS members are welcome to log onto the jump server and explore the Premium version of Solidworks from 2017 that we have on the server. I believe we only have basic “teaser” versions of the add-ins you’re looking to use.

You can find all information on using the Jump server via our wiki: JumpServerFAQ - Dallas Makerspace

However, with DMS Solidworks student/maker version we offer, we have a separate code for the CAM add-in that can be downloaded/installed by each student. And at one point I believe we had paid for the full CAM add-in that was installed on the jump server Premium Solidworks software.

I would live some basic lessons in Solidworks. Let me know if you plan a lesson. I used AutoCAD more than 20 years ago :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry typo…meant to say I would love…

While you’re waiting for a class to materialize, YouTube has lots of basic tutorials. I’ve learned as much as I need to get me through some drawings by looking there.

Regrettably, Delta and Omicron are keeping me at home. I don’t have 'em – I just don’t want 'em.

But if you can’t find a source of Youtube videos that you like to get you started, there are resources within the program itself.

When you start up the program, you’ll get this screen:

Then hit the link at the top that says Learn. You’ll get this screen:

The Youtube tutorials of these lessons are a bit easier to follow, since you don’t have to hunt around as much for the correct choices. Still, this is how I began.

Best of luck!

6 Likes

Where do we get the access to the license?

Read the very first post. He goes into details including the terms

4 Likes

Just to bump this, check the calander. An intro course to SolidWorks was taught not too long ago.

I’m not in Dallas anymore but I would be happy to teach a solidworks class virtually. I was thinking I would probably do a livestream on a platform like youtube or twitch where DMS members could join and follow along/ask questions. Actually, anyone with a Solidworks license would be welcome to join but of course the class would also go over accessing the jump server so DMS members could easily get started and follow along.

4 Likes

Solidworks is a very powerful tool, it’s great that we have access to it through the makerspace, and I use it a lot just because it’s so convenient. But, it’s not the right tool for everything, specifically for some kinds of surface modeling. I found myself creating weird workarounds to do certain things, found a presentation from a conference where some dude shared the same weird workarounds, then decided I should probably switch to T-splines before I get too deep down the rabbit hole of extremely niche software-specific annoyances.

Let me know when you’re available using the link. I’d prefer if you brought a drawing of your project that you want to put into CAD. If you don’t have a drawing ready, then we’ll start by making one, and if you don’t bring your own object, then we’ll use a computer mouse or tape dispenser. We can meet for 30 mins. and if you decide that it’s provided value then afterwards think about weekly sessions or group classes etc.

2 Likes

Worth the price of admission.

1 Like

Oops didn’t mean to necropost. This appeared in my feed and I thought it was more recent.

since you bumped the thread anyway, here’s the surfacing video I was talking about earlier:

Another I found recently:

The first video especially is the only place I’ve seen addressed some of the peculiarities of the SW solver. There are some great workarounds and techniques there; I highly recommended watching it, if you’re interested in surfacing. For other technical CAD concepts which are not specific to SOlidWOrks, I also recommend the Class A Surfacing channel on YouTube.

In my own practice, I’ve managed to move away from the boxlike look that was the main thing I didn’t like about CAD. In retrospect it’s not just the software; while it’s easy to make boxlike things in SW, and most artists find other ways to make stuff outside of engineering CAD/SW, the tools are definitely there to make other shapes too.

4 Likes

Hi David Tucker

Please provide current SolidWorks install instructions. Apparently there are install changes on their website between 2021 and current? On the Dropdown, “MAKER” is no longer an option? “STUDENT”, “STUDENT TEAM”, “OTHER” are the available options.

Are there any installed on public makerspace machines?

Members are able to use the computers in the pillar classroom, which should I think have it installed on all of them or most of them.

Alternatively, there’s a more decked out, but older version of solid works on the jumpserver.

2 Likes

SOLIDWORKS is not installed in the classroom yet. David has confirmed Desault has agreed to allow us to do so. It will need to be installed by a member of the infrastructure team with desktop administrator rights.

Please be aware that your license codes will work for the “22-23” version of Solidworks Student – not the 23 version.

1 Like

Reminder – free copies are available to members. (Just wanted to bump this up on Talk.)

2 Likes