SolidWorks License Info

Hi, Does anyone have a clear path to obtaining a SolidWorks license on a personal computer?

Talk to @David_A_Tucker

I know this post starts in 2021, but it’s got responses in August of this year as well. If there are more nuances, I’m sure David will jump in.

Do you agree to this(?):

DMS License Terms/Agreement

By downloading and activating your license, you are agreeing with Dallas Makerspace, Inc. (“DMS”) that:

1. Your license is governed both by the terms required by Dassault and the terms required by DMS, as they may be modified by DMS and/or Dassault from time to time.
  2. You are representing and warranting that you are a member in good standing with DMS.
  3. You will not communicate to anyone or share any DMS license codes for Solidworks.
  4. Your license will only be used for your own personal and academic purposes, as interpreted by DMS and/or Dassault. During the installation and download procedure you’ll get an End User Licensing Agreement containing more detailed restrictions.
  5. DMS has notified you of your eligibility to receive the appropriate maker/student license. Any download and use of a license by a person who is not eligible for it is a violation of the license agreement and applicable laws.
  6. The licenses obtained through DMS differ from other versions of Solidworks software in that the relevant license will expire in accordance with the terms of your download card and/or DMS’s particular agreement with Dassault. Files created with your license will contain an “academic-use only” watermark.
  7. We have special terms as part of DMS’ agreement with Dassault, by which you’ll be bound. In plain English, these terms include, among others, that: (i) they may create sales and marketing demos from certain of your model data files that we all agree to provide, and (ii) if so, you represent, warrant, and indemnify that any models, images, logos, and photographs that you provide won’t, when used for this purpose, violate anyone’s rights or confidentiality obligations.

If you can’t agree to these terms, do not download, activate, or use your license. Again, you will be deemed to have agreed to these terms if you download and activate the software.

Just please message me your answer instead of posting it here, on this public forum.

I had our Solidworks Academic/Maker installed on my home system and then uninstalled it and installed the latest version of a fully licensed commercial Solidworks version. Now it puts the academic warning on all of my files. It is infuriating. They stuck tentacles into my system that didn’t uninstall. I should sue them for trespassing. My SSD bytes don’t belong to them.

I did reinstall the academic thing on a different computer that I tote around with me.