SolidWorks classes

Hello everyone, I am new to the space but I am interested in teaching some SolidWorks classes. I am a Design Engineer by trade. I am wondering what experience level those are at that would be interested in taking a class. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

3 Likes

For sure a beginners class would be appreciated!

We have access to an older version of Solidworks inhouse, but im not sure how many actually use it. So maybe an intermediate down the line?

1 Like

Thanks for offering to teach! I’m also new to DMS, and new to SolidWorks, so a beginner level class would be great! It would also be wonderful if it would let us make a simple thing in the class and then include how to export the file to one of the machines at DMS that could then make it. This would be an awesome bridge from theory (learning how to make things in SolidWorks) and practice (actually loading the file up into a machine and making it). I’m sure that it would take coordination with someone else at DMS to do that part as most machines have their own required classes. But for example, I’m interested in 3D printing and would enjoy knowing how to make my own designs for printing.

I hope that this helps, and I hope that I get to take your class! :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

@mchoate53 yes! A beginner level solidworks class would be great offered no-weekly starting in 2 weeks scheduled 2 weeks apart. I’ve been teaching a slightly more advanced solidworks class every other week.

Teach the class in the pillar of solitude classroom there are computers in there that can access the jump drive where solidworks 2017 resides.

Limit the class size. I’ve been doing class sizes of 5 people….

1 Like

Does anyone know how someone who doesn’t have SW on their laptop access it for the class?

Depending on the solid works licenses that we have, we can probably just install solidworks on all the computers in the pillar classroom. However, I’ve never been given the licenses to use on those nor what versions explicitly should be used, so I have no idea for sure off the top of my head.

1 Like

who would be the one to talk to about that?

For installing, I can handle that. I have no idea who has the current DMS licenses. I know tucker has the personal use ones, I’m not sure if we were using those on the computers or if we had special DMS full ones or what.

@mchoate53 the easiest way is via jump server. Darrell and I have been doing out classes this way. If you are at the space today I can meet you there

1. We have a copy of sw 17 on the jump server, and any member can log in to the jump server remotely, and will be able to use it (several can use it at the same time)

2. Sw sponsors the Makerspace by giving us 40 or so maker licenses for our members. Anyone that wants a license can read the first post here, and @David_A_Tucker to get a license.

I don’t know who OK’s the install of the software on the computers in that room. For implantation, I assume David Tucker would also be the one to release 5 licenses for the Pillar of Solitude classroom computers. While @jsnowfreedman will be the one to do the actual installation.

1 Like

For your reference, see this email chain:

PLANCHARD Marie <>

To:David Tucker

Cc:[email protected],Ryan Karonka,MORSE Christine,D Smart

Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 5:56 AM

Hi David.

You have my permission to do so. Regards. Marie

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 14, 2020, at 8:29 PM, David Tucker <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Marie:

I respectfully ask your permission to modify the terms the Solidworks license agreement between the Dallas Makerspace and Dessault so that we may better promote your software.

We are planning to create a Computer Classroom/Lab where instructors can periodically teach maker-related software like Solidworks, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, V-Carve, Python, Arduino programming, Microsoft Office, RD Works, and the like. There is a strong likelihood that we would invite-in your local resellers to conduct classes periodically if they so wished. I believe this project serves both our interests.

So, we want to have a limited number of dedicated computers/laptops available where students could log-on to a student/maker copy of Solidworks to use in class or for self-study. The current terms of our agreement with Dessault only allows us to give temporary licenses to our members individually. It doesn’t provide for a licensed computer seat where any student can use it to teach or learn the software – whether in class or not.

Therefore, we ask your permission to load student copies of Solidworks on to our classroom computers so that any student taking a class or using the lab can use that program. Access would be given only to those having the Makerspace’s specific permission, and if you require it and give us the necessary technical help, we would limit access to the program to those students using a specific password. We would probably start with 10 for a year or two and then expand to up to 20 computers as class sizes increase.

If you require, we can formally modify our current agreement. However, if you are content to let us use some of our student/maker licenses for this purpose, it would suffice for you to consent by reply email.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Very truly yours,

David Allen Tucker

member of the Dallas Makerspace

on behalf of the Dallas Makerspace, Inc.

1 Like

Anyone taking the class (member or not?) can get a personal one-year license from our hoard. They can contact me for a license or (if Infrastructure approves it) you could give out a student license to each student in your class directly.

Ask infrastructure for permission for me to give you the master code.

2 Likes